Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"original file could not be found" - error using network drives

Community Beginner ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I save my raw-files for my LR catalog on a separate network drive, to save some space on my Macbook. Normally, that's not a big issue, when I work on some of them: I just need to connect the network drive and (sometimes) re-locate the files (LR seems to have trouble remembering file paths) and set the tick to locate other files as well. Normally, that'll find all my photos then.

Now I've worked on a book and had the photos I used for it saved in a separate collection. I briefly wanted to work on that again and had an exclamation mark in the upper right corner of the photos, signalling me to re-locate the photos again. After making sure the drive was connected, I went ahead locating one of the files, expecting the others to be automatically located as well. But, strangely, it only located files that were in the same sub-folder (those were about three each time). That's also only the case for parts of my library. I keep the file structure from my Canon camera largely unchanged so that the same problem should've applied to other photos as well. But it didn't. And I can definitely access all files manually -- so there shouldn't be a problem with the network drive.

So, I wonder what's causing this, and if there's a way to get LR to keep these connectivity issues to a minimum (i.e. connect once, then it should find all paths and work without any further setup)?

Thanks and happy new year to everyone!

Specs:

MB Pro (late 2013) with El Capitan (v. 10.11.6)

LR 5.6 (with Camera Raw 8.6)

WD Mycloud as network drive

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

There are apparently a number of issues using WD MyCloud storage devices with LR. Here's are some posts with possible solutions:

Re: Lightroom 6 and External Drive (NAS)

Importing photos to a raid drive correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are apparently a number of issues using WD MyCloud storage devices with LR. Here's are some posts with possible solutions:

Re: Lightroom 6 and External Drive (NAS)

Importing photos to a raid drive correctly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the references. I thought it shouldn't be linked to the NAS as I wasn't so much transferring files rather than just opening them. But I guess one kind of implies the other.

Wanted to look for another NAS as a second backup anyway... might use the wd as backup instead then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can try turning of the WD My Cloud Sleep mode as shown below and see if that helps.

[​IMG]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might actually be a good temporary fix. But in the end I don't think I'd like my NAS to be running constantly. Apart from the energy consumption I'd expect it to affect the WDs life expectancy quite a bit. Also, once my Laptop goes to sleep I'd be back at square one, wouldn't I?

I rather don't want to go too far with some of the other options involving accessing/changing anything on the wd's unix shell without further backup (I believe something like that was suggested in one of the other discussions). And since I'd get a new backup disk anyway I might as well get one that works a bit better with LR and use the current one as backup. I was just hoping it was some easy fix LR issue but it seems plausible that it isn't.

Thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

paulw63814455 wrote:

Might actually be a good temporary fix. But in the end I don't think I'd like my NAS to be running constantly. Apart from the energy consumption I'd expect it to affect the WDs life expectancy quite a bit.

Spinning a drive down in sleep mode and then back up causes more failures than running the drive 24/7. You'll face the same issue regardless of NAS type used. You can put the NAS in hibernation mode at the end of your workday and then wake it before launching LR in the morning. Just a suggestion.

paulw63814455 wrote:

Also, once my Laptop goes to sleep I'd be back at square one, wouldn't I?

Not if the NAS is powered up and spinning.

The primary issue with the WD My Cloud appears to be with it's indexing implementation. IMHO that's reason enough to choose a different NAS brand that doesn't have this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, didn't know that. I don't really mind having to connect the NAS everytime I'm working with LR. Just when I do it, the WD seems to do it really unreliably, which will be the indexing then, as you said. And I agree, it doesn't make a lot of sense continuing to battle that.

Since you seem to have a bit of experience with NAS an Lightroom, can you recommend an NAS that works well for this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Synology NAS products would be a good choice for your Mac OS X system. If you have specific questions I suggest posting them on their forum: Community - Support | Synology Inc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines