Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Close Focus

Explorer ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

So I have an element 3D layer with a roulette wheel and a camera that's moved super close in the wheel.

Now I have some animations in other .aep's and I imported them and place them on the wheel where I wanted, but obviously since the roulette wheel model is small and the camera is moved all the way down to it, I had to scale the comp layer to like 2%. Now I turned on depth of field and started dragging the focus distance so I can get the comp layer in focus.

My camera is on f-stop 2 and 35mm. problem is I can't get it in focus, everything is super macro at this point and when I try to move the focus distance lower then 300px or so, just to get my comp layer in focus, the whole thing just blurs out and when I go even lower it just disappears. whilst the roulette wheel can perfectly get in focus around 300px. How can I get my comp layer in focus? I tried 'set camera to focus layer' thing but that just set the focus distance to 1.800 pixels and got everything blurred out.

This is what it looks like when I get the focus distance to around 300px. Gyazo - 069e2ec0cff96b5cbd1d8212cdb55105.png

the white stuff thats floating is my comp layer I want in focus.

Thanks for the help!

Quinten

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why not scale the E3D stuff? You are having things backwards.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah yes that is very usefull, didnt think of that. Only thing I notice now is that the comp layer has an extremely shallow depth of field in comparinson to the roulette wheel. The roulette wheel is just a little bit blurred in the background but the comp layer has one side really blurry and the other sharp just because it's turned a couple degrees? I just want the comp layer fully in focus and the roulette wheel background nicely blurred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

anyone else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the parameters are too extreme, a less know technique is the ability to SCALE the camera. Create a 3D null and attach your whole scene including the camera to the null by parenting. Now scale the null and. You won't see a visual difference until you delete the null. This technique is useful especially when you get high pixel count using the 3D camera tracker. You then scale it down, you can of course scale it up too if parameters are to tight. The end resul is that your parameters are more manageable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Quinton,

Did you ever solve this problem? Let us know if you did (and how you did so) or if you need more help.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem and its not resolved yet. Scaling the scene with the camera didnt help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines