• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Glitch with InDesign Publish feature

Contributor ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have published several issues of a free journal using InDesign's Publish  feature which I love. However, the issue I published today had a glitch. The subhead below the title features a decorative border at the start and the end of the line. It is positioned properly in InDesign, but in the "published version" the decoration on the left has jumped up into the header. Of course I have no way to fix this because it's fine in my InDesign layout.  Does anyone have a clue how or why this happened?

Top screenshot below shows the properly positioned decoration in InDesign. Bottom shot shows the results in the published file.

screen1.png

screen2.png

I am using a new MacBook Pro, running El Capitan, and have 16GB of RAM. The two other issues I've published have been flawless, so I'm stumped as to how this could happen.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

It seems to be an issue of the Publish Online view version only. (If I click on the download button, I get a flawless PDF.) The document is rendered as HTML pages. I see in the source code the "boxes" that contain the symbols and the text line, but someway in disorder.

I wondered why InDesign has a problem with this left hand decoration symbol. How did you create the symbol? It seems to be the letter "m" of a dingbat font, is it?

But only one can be the letter "m", the left hand OR the right hand

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be an issue of the Publish Online view version only. (If I click on the download button, I get a flawless PDF.) The document is rendered as HTML pages. I see in the source code the "boxes" that contain the symbols and the text line, but someway in disorder.

I wondered why InDesign has a problem with this left hand decoration symbol. How did you create the symbol? It seems to be the letter "m" of a dingbat font, is it?

But only one can be the letter "m", the left hand OR the right hand symbol, never both. Did you mirror it? If yes, which one?

[By the way - the older magazines (216, 215 ...) are published with wordpress as PDF. There's no issue.]

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your note,  Fenja.  I used  Adobe Wood Type for the decoration. I believe I set the one at left first...then copied it, pasted and flipped it horizontally.  That must be the cause of the problem.

To solve the issue in the future I will simply make the entire line a graphic. I've had no other glitches using Publish. The other issues you referenced  were  exported as PDFs from InDesign and I did not use Publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To solve the issue in the future I will simply make the entire line a graphic.

This is certainly the best solution.

Happy new year!

Fenja

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines