• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Program crashes automatically each time when working in a dokument

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working with a annual brochure in InDesign. Since it contains a lot of infoemation that I want to reuse and takes days to set up I always keep the old file and save it anew for the new version of the brochure. Ihe original file was first created in 2010 with CS3. It contains a table that is several pages long. Now, after upgrading to ID2017, each time I work in this table (inserting rows and copying information from other cells, inserting images), the whole program crashes down. I use the Norwegian language version, and the translated message is like "An unforseen failure aoorued and the program will shut down". It see4ms that the whole table is coorupted, but I do not know where the bug is that causes ID to shut down. How do I find and repair it? Is this a common problem? Are CS3 crearted files and objects/tables not compatible any more? Do I have to create the table anew (wil take me very many expensive hours)? I sincerely do not hope so.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Create a new file using the same dimensions, margins etc as your corrupt document.

In the corrupt document go the pages panel and go the menu for the Pages Palette and choose move pages.

In the move pages dialog box you can select to move the pages to your new document.

http://indesignsecrets.com/watch_listen/how-to-move-pages-from-one-document-to-another

See if the problem persists in the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to save your file to idml format, then open it and save it as an InDesign document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried to do that, and while saving to idml the whole program shut down again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should I uninstall and reinstall ID on my PC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if indesign crashes  only with that file i believe reinstall ID doesn't solve the issue.

I read some post of adobe staff:

..."email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com. We will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link."...

I think they can help you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a new file using the same dimensions, margins etc as your corrupt document.

In the corrupt document go the pages panel and go the menu for the Pages Palette and choose move pages.

In the move pages dialog box you can select to move the pages to your new document.

http://indesignsecrets.com/watch_listen/how-to-move-pages-from-one-document-to-another

See if the problem persists in the new file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eugene. That seemes to have done the trick. There's a table there which is clearly messed up, but since the new document works and doesn't shut down the system, I can fix the bugs in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Julia

That's great it worked for you! Best of luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines