• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

DNG tags/title not showing in Windows (10) File Explorer

Participant ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure this is an old question but having poked around for a while I can't find an answer so...

If I export my metadata into my DNG files (not into a XMP sidecar file) then Windows File Explorer does not show tags, titles, star rating etc. I have installed a codec so File Explorer will show the image. I'm afraid I can't remember if I used the Adobe Codec or the MS one. I have no problem with JPEGs and PSE picks up the metadata, if I export it, so it is there, it's just that FE can't process it..

Is there any way to get File Explorer to show this data, e.g. a different Codec or do I have to use a different file manager? I have seen Fastpictureviewer, Faststone and others recommended. If I have to go down this route do you have any favourites, bearing in mind that it's just File Explorer type capabilities I'm looking for?

Thanks,

John 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Fixed!!!!!

I hope you will all excuse me talking to myself here but the input I've had from john & dj has really helped, in pointing out that it should work and the joy (?) of codecs.

The answer? I re-installed the Adobe DNG Codecs, Somewhere along the way it must have got upset. Computers eh?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot duplicate this in Windows 10, the tags and other metadata are visible when I select the photo in Windows Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For DNG? Interesting. Do you have a Codecs installed?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG I exported had tags and titles and GPS locations visible in the Windows 10 File Explorer. I don't believe I have ever installed any codecs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting. I've sent a DNG to my laptop (which has never seen a DNG before) and the metadata shows in Windows File Explorer.

That's reassuring, it confirms that the metadata is there, though I was pretty sure of that anyway.

I know this sounds daft but I have the Adobe codecs installed on one pc and the MS codecs on the other (so I can see RAW files away from home). Trouble is, I can't remember which is which. So it might be that. I'll have a poke around.

Thanks for the help dj.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this sounds daft but I have the Adobe codecs installed on one pc and the MS codecs on the other (so I can see RAW files away from home). Trouble is, I can't remember which is which. So it might be that. I'll have a poke around.

I've never found a way to list authoritatively image codecs that have been installed. Media Player will list audio and video codecs, but not image codecs.  You can go to Programs And Features, and hopefully there will be an uninstaller for the codec or codec pack listed, but you can't count on that.

It's certainly possible you have a codec installed for DNG that is screwing up File Explorer's access to DNG metadata.  (Codecs are responsible for providing File Explorer with access to metadata.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just talking to myself here, some progress but mostly deeper into confusion. I have the Adobe codecs pack installed on my main pc, the one I'm having trouble with. The description specifically states that one of the things it does is allow File Explorer to display metadata. On my laptop I have the NEF codecs installed (not MS codecs as memory told me), so I can see NEF files. Nikon make no mention of DNG.

As an aside I can find conflicting reports on the MS codecs pack. One report says it is incorporated into Win 10 (seems credible) others say you have to install it and run it in compatibility mode (no thanks).

In an attempt to set both pcs the same I have removed the Adobe Codecs pack from my main pc. This has had no effect whatsoever. Next I removed the NEF codecs from my laptop. This had no effect on viewing DNGs or metadata in DNGs but now I can't see NEF images, so I've re-installed the NEF codecs pack.

Fortunately this issue is a curiosity rather than a problem. I think I'll leave it until tomorrow, see if any ideas pop into my head. Maybe re-installing the Adobe codecs pack on the main pc is the next step. Win 10 has had one or two major upgrades since it came out, one of them might have upset it. But then why is the laptop ok?  Hmm.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fixed!!!!!

I hope you will all excuse me talking to myself here but the input I've had from john & dj has really helped, in pointing out that it should work and the joy (?) of codecs.

The answer? I re-installed the Adobe DNG Codecs, Somewhere along the way it must have got upset. Computers eh?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines