• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to create a new parent folder inside my external hard drive in LR6

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a new digital camera last year. My old camera's earlier year pics are on an external hard drive. How can I now create a new parent folder for the new camera pictures on the external  drive in LR 6 (standalone).

Currently the folder structure on the external hard drive is

>> Camera 1

>> 2014

>> 2015

>> 2016

And I want to create a 'parent' folder for the new camera under its own name and then add yearly pictures to it such as in

>> Camera 2

>> 2016

etc.

I am unable to get this Camera 2 folder to become another parent folder in the external drive, rather than a subfolder of Camera 1 which I cannot free from its Camera 1 'fatherhood' in LR.  How can this be done?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Thanks again.

I solved my own problem: create a Camera 2 folder in LR on the computer, move it by mouse to the external drive and let it sit where LR puts it on the external drive, then right click on the new external drive Camera 2 folder in LR and an interface will come up where you can move the folder to wherever you like. A bit awkward that I first must create the new folder where I do not want it, and then I can free it to where it should be.

But it works, worked!

Finally, I hope I can remembe

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this Camera 2 folder already shown in LR? Can you show us a screen capture?

Honestly, I think it's a whole lot easier to NOT create folders by camera, just put all of your 2016 photos into the appropriate date folders with no camera folders at all, and then in Lightroom, segregate the photos by camera when needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

I solved my own problem: create a Camera 2 folder in LR on the computer, move it by mouse to the external drive and let it sit where LR puts it on the external drive, then right click on the new external drive Camera 2 folder in LR and an interface will come up where you can move the folder to wherever you like. A bit awkward that I first must create the new folder where I do not want it, and then I can free it to where it should be.

But it works, worked!

Finally, I hope I can remember this when I switch to Camera 3 or 4 in the future ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

uhligfd=me wrote:

Finally, I hope I can remember this when I switch to Camera 3 or 4 in the future ...

Or better yet, don't even bother creating new folders for Camera 3 and 4 (that's less work and doesn't rely on you remembering how you did it) and let Lightroom filters do the work when you want only photos from a certain camera(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines