• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lost original photos, can I still extract from the preview?

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My photos were on an external hard drive and that hard drive is now damaged (trying to recover through a data recovery service) but if that doesn't work is there any other way to still access the photos? Seeing them in preview is like a tease. I was editing a wedding and it's so important. Please help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

You can access the previews, these are smaller size images, probably not suitable for weddings, but I guess that's really up to you. Use this plug-in: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

Get in the habit of making regular and automated backups of all of your photos and catalog file, to a different physical disk than the original. No excuses! It's a lot cheaper than using a data recover service -- faster too.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 06, 2016 Dec 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can access the previews, these are smaller size images, probably not suitable for weddings, but I guess that's really up to you. Use this plug-in: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Extract Cached Image Previews” Lightroom Plugin

Get in the habit of making regular and automated backups of all of your photos and catalog file, to a different physical disk than the original. No excuses! It's a lot cheaper than using a data recover service -- faster too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just sent you a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any discussion of this problem should go in this public forum so that everyone can benefit, and not in a private message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My apologies. So this program worked GREAT for most of the photos, thank you so much for the help. The last 190 photos are still thumbnail size for some reason. I tried to re-extract just those photos but that did not work either. Are you the author of that program? Just looking for additional help because of course with a wedding those photos are the first dance, cake cutting ect... Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, i am not the author.

The plug-in will extract whatever size thumbnails exists in Lightroom's preview cache. If Lightroom never created a full-size preview, it only has the very small thumbnail, then that's the best the plug-in can do is extract the very small thumbnail, larger sizes don't exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is there a way to make these pictures more like the originals - I was able to extract pictures from previews from files that were lost on my a usb drive.  however, I am pretty sure that I didn't import them originally 1:1.  Is there a way to make them sharper perhaps by changing the size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2017 Jan 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The size is whatever it is. Enlarging the image will cause it to lose sharpness, not increase sharpness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! You literally saved my life!!! I had 1 job that didn't get back up on my other external drive before it crashed and I was able to save the previews to save my life!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines