Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indd File Crashing on Open: after export fail

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I am hoping someone might know a way to help me recover my indd document or parts of my document.

After exporting to a pdf (which I had done multiple times prior this) the process failed and now the indd document fails to open. Occasional I will see it pop up before crashing but mostly it fails before open. Unfortunately this happened after 6 hours of work and the only file I have backup from the day prior is very different, so I am hoping I can find an easier answer before recreating the document.

I am working on a mac and Indesign creative cloud version. I have tried looking for the cache recovery documents but cant find them. I can also work on or open other files fine, it is just this document. I have also tried removing the fonts, moving the file to the desktop and trying on other computers and none have helped.

The error report message is very long so I don't want to paste it in this question but I also have that if someone can tell me which part is relevant?

Please help.

Charlotte

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Thanks everyone, I had to resort in recreation. Unfortunately the open copy didn't work and my time machine wasn't running ongoing (rookie mistake!)

Thanks for offering to look at it Sanyam but already recreated now.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to use the open copy command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry Bob do you mean to "copy" it in a new folder or "open with"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also tried to start from indesign and "file/open" but this also isn't working

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try indesign > File > Open and then, as Bob said, choose "Copy"

Schermata 2017-01-03 alle 12.24.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

There are multiple factors both internal and external to InDesign application that can lead to document corruption. However, I can take a look and see if the file can be repaired. Please email your InDesign file to corrupt_indesign_docs@adobe.com and I will take a look at the document.

If the file is larger than 10 Mb, you can zip (and password protect) the file and upload to Creative Cloud account (or Dropbox) and send us the document link.

Regards,

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As you're working on a Mac - do you have Time Machine? If so you may be able to revert to an earlier version from about an hour before the corruption?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks everyone, I had to resort in recreation. Unfortunately the open copy didn't work and my time machine wasn't running ongoing (rookie mistake!)

Thanks for offering to look at it Sanyam but already recreated now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines