• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't upgrade my new LR6 disc

Participant ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was given LR6 on disc for Christmas.  Multiple problems including the program is unable to read about 5000 of my 22,000 images read perfectly with LR5.

My disc version is 6.0.  Going to help, then upgrades, then at adobe, when I click on Lightroom upgrade (?CC) it does nothing!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Download the update from here:

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you don't want to 'upgrade' to cc or you'll convert your perpetually licensed lr6 to a subscription cc (assuming you have a perpetually ilcensed lr).

[moved from Downloading, Installing, Setting Up to Photoshop Lightroom]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks...but how do I upgrade the disc version from 6.0 to 6.8?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the update from here:

Keeping Lightroom Up-to-Date

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately that link doesn't allow me to download.  I have my serial number, but can't get to a "download" button anywhere!  Beyond me why Adobe cannot simply have a button to update your lightroom 6.0 to 6.8, maybe they do, but I certainly can't find it anywhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link given by Jim Hess is exactly what you need. There is no "download button", there are links for downloading Lightroom 6.8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will not work...I can only get what I think is the upgrade/download for the CC version, not the disc.

Thanks for you assistance, but I am in a catch 22 of not being able to upgrade lightroom 6 regardless of all attempts, reloading the program. Most disturbing is the fact that when I am in lightroom 6, go to help, select upgrade from the lightroom menu, and nothing happens! No options, no links, nothing. Just a blink of the update text!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tinplater wrote:

Unfortunately that link doesn't allow me to download. I have my serial number, but can't get to a "download" button anywhere! Beyond me why Adobe cannot simply have a button to update your lightroom 6.0 to 6.8, maybe they do, but I certainly can't find it anywhere!

The link I provided enables you to navigate to the download page where you can download the update. This is the link that you click on to allow you to go to the download page:

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't work...I think that is the CC version update, not the DVD disc. I think what may have happened somehow is that Adobe thinks I have the CC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have completely misunderstood the situation.

It's all one download, no matter if you bought Lightroom 6 download or Lightroom 6 disk or Lightroom CC 2015 download or Lightroom CC 2015 disk, you download the same update file and install it. What file? The file that Jim Hess has pointed out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somehow Adobe must think I have the CC when I have the disc. When I click on the download, it asks me to close lightroom which is running. But when I do that (close lightroom) it disappears completely and the download never starts. Then to get Lightroom 6 up and running again, I have to insert the disc and reinstall it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THERE IS ONLY ONE UPDATE. Whether you have Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC is all dependent on how you have signed in. For some reason, people seem to think that there is something mystical/magical/mysterious//dangerous about Lightroom CC. It is the same program, installed the same way you installed Lightroom 6, runs locally on your computer just like Lightroom 6, all of your work is stored locally just like it is on Lightroom 6  because it is the same program. The link I gave you will give you the update that will update your Lightroom 6 to Lightroom 6 .8. There is no other update that can be given to you because there is only one update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I am just unable to update..I am asked to close lightroom to perform the update, when I do that lightroom disappears and nothing happens with the update process. Then I have to reload the program via the disc.....it disappears from the toolbar and is not to be found in the application folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you check your c>program files>adobe folder for an adobe lightroom directory?

if so, and there's no lightroom directory, is your computer 64bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...after one hour of assistance through adobe chat line with the technician taking control of my computer she was finally able to get things corrected. She was almost as confused as I , but appears that the problem originated from Adobe thinking I had CC rather than the disk. I did receive conflicting "help" from adobe before that, with one agent claiming there was no difference between LR6 and CC, another claimed there was no update for for lightroom 6 when in fact there is (6.8).

All said, the upgrade from lightroom 5 to 6.8 is very disappointing...essentially all you get is RAW updates, and some tool for HDR Panoramas. The dehazing tool is not included. Hardly worth the $150 charged for the program if you have 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(it should have been $80 for the upgrade from lr 5 to lr 6.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately my disc was a gift from my daughter who ordered it on Amazon paying the full price. I am still going to see if I can send it back for a refund...it clearly is not worth $149 to just get the RAW updates and the down the road ability to update (I suspect Adobe will give up on any support for lightroom outside of the CC in the future and then start raising the monthly charges when they have everyone captive!) Thanks for your input.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, people have been saying that now for a couple of years. And if that's the only excuse for not going with the creative cloud that's a pretty flimsy excuse.  Adobe has built a good base of creative cloud users. Why do you think they would mess things up by trying to raise the price? The program is already proving to be very profitable for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just personally like to have the software program, most last me for years, use on multiple machines, and are much cheaper in the long run (at least for me). Why did Adobe feel compelled to abandon 5 and issue 6 when there are hardly any improvements? I had to have been a financial decision to pressure users towards CC. They should have just kept on with 5 unchanged and made the choice between 5 and CC, not between 5 and CC and 6 on disc. And if the subscription rate in a couple of years is $25 per month, get back to me and let me know how flimsy that argument was. (you also have to realize I barely use photoshop..if they had offered cloud with just lightroom for $4.99 I probably would have gone that route:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tinplater wrote:

And if the subscription rate in a couple of years is $25 per month, get back to me and let me know how flimsy that argument was. (you also have to realize I barely use Photoshop..if they had offered cloud with just Lightroom for $4.99 I probably would have gone that route:)

There's nothing to indicate  that the monthly fee is going to increase. And since you said you want to "own" your software, I suspect you probably wouldn't take Lightroom even at $4.99/month. And what do you get when you buy a disc version? You get the initial release. And as soon as you install it you have to download an update from the website. This debate could go on forever. It's pointless. You have your mind made up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never encountered a problem such as you are describing. After you download the installer for the update, make sure Lightroom is closed before you start the installer and see if that helps. It's possible that the installer created a new folder for the updated version. Have you checked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you...after one hour of assistance through adobe chat line with the technician taking control of my computer she was finally able to get things corrected. She was almost as confused as I , but appears that the problem originated from Adobe thinking I had CC rather than the disk. I did receive conflicting "help" from adobe before that, with one agent claiming there was no difference between LR6 and CC, another claimed there was no update for for lightroom 6 when in fact there is (6.8).

All said, the upgrade from lightroom 5 to 6.8 is very disappointing...essentially all you get is RAW updates, and some tool for HDR Panoramas. The dehazing tool is not included. Hardly worth the $150 charged for the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, there are a few other added features. However, if you had carefully read the  feature list you would have understood  that the dehaze is not part of Lightroom 6. And if you paid $150 to upgrade to Lightroom 6 you didn't follow the prompts very closely. You have to indicate that you want to purchase the upgrade and indicate the version you are upgrading from. After you do that the price changes to $79.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No Jim, you can't upgrade 5 to 6; at least my daughter couldn't as it was a gift from her; she ordered it on amazon; I didn't know anything about the dehaze tool, only found out about it after trying youtube tutorials for 6. (that is an entire different problem because the distinction between 6 and CC is not made clear in those videos) I was primarily interested in getting the RAW update for my Sony a7r but thought there would be more enhancements from 5 to 6 beyond that. At least Adobe Chat technician was very helpful although it took her an hour to get me operational. The technician agreed with me that the CC and 6 distinction is very confusing, in fact on Adobe representative earlier today informed me there was no update for 6, and another said CC and 6 are the same thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only reason the difference between Lightroom 6 and Lightroom CC is so confusing is because people don't take the time to stop and understand what is really happening.  They seem to think that Lightroom CC is something mystical that runs in the cloud and stores all of their images in the cloud. That is not the case. The program installs and runs locally on your computer. Lightroom CC has the added option of Lightroom Mobile  as well as all the features that have been added. But Lightroom 6 users don't look at that with any degree of understanding. All they want to do is complain that they don't get the new features. But they aren't paying for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines