• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit original Illustrator file in Indesign not working properly

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if this is an Indesign or Illustrator problem. I have a new HP Envy laptop with Windows 10. I'm working in an Indesign file that uses several linked Illustrator files. When I click on an Illustrator file in Indesign it will launch and open in Illustrator OK. However, when I perform this same operation for a second AI file in Indesign the file appears as though it'll open in Illustrator but it doesn't. If I then try to open the AI file directly in Illustrator then AI locks up and I have to force close the program. I've tried unistalling and re-installing both Indesign and Illustrator. Both programs will work correctly the first couple of times I try to "Edit Original" Illustrator files then the same problem starts up all over again. I'm really frustrated since I have to get my Indesign document proofed and this problem is making it impossible. As a side note, I'm also having intermittent issues when exporting to PDF from Indesign. Indesign will act like it's exporting by creating the PDF file but it never gets beyond 0 KB. I was able to temporarily fix the problem by restarting my laptop and Indesign but am concerned the problem will become chronic as it's become for my Illustrator files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Regarding your second issue, it may be worth resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

You may need to do this a couple of times before getting the hang of it.

It might even sort also

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding your second issue, it may be worth resetting your InDesign preferences:

Close and relaunch InDesign, and IMMEDIATELY hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences. You must be extremely fast on the keyboard (if you don’t see the confirmation prompt, you were too slow).

You may need to do this a couple of times before getting the hang of it.

It might even sort also out your first problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip! I thought uninstalling and reinstalling the apps would clear the Preferences file but I guess I was wrong. Your advice does seem to help. I'll re-post if the problem persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2017 Mar 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue as problem 1. Brand new computer using W10, new install of everything and bingo - Problem 1 begins  - that is, from Indesign when I edit original (ai file), Illustrator opens and brings up file and I can edit and Indesign updates, but then when I do it on a second ai file from within Indesign (with Illustrator still open), Illustrator locks up. Have to shut down Illustrator. So editing say, for instance, 10 ai files from within Indesign (same Indd file or even swapping between 2 different Indd files) I have to shut down Illustrator 10 times. No fun, and btw clearing preference didn't help. Any other tips?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like an Illustrator problem. Might want to check in the Illustrator forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until you get a solution, here's a work-around you may want to try. When you click on a placed image, you have a few choices if you want to edit it. The one you seem to be using is Edit Original. If that's not working, try Edit With, and choosing Illustrator from the list of choices. You could also choose Show in Bridge or Show in Finder (or what ever Windows calls it—the finder is a Mac name for the OS). Once you have the image in either Bridge or the Finder, launch it from there (in Mac OS, I would drag it to the icon of the program in the Dock, or onto a the icon of the program, or the icon of a shortcut of the program).

I'm not sure if that will help, but it's worth a try in the mean time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice ideas and thanks for the thought - my work around at the moment is to open up all the ai files I have in an Indd file (usually 10-15 ai files) from within Illustrator independently of Indesign, then each time I edit/save an ai file I just have to "update links" in Indesign - not too painful...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines