• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you create crisp and non-fuzzy text in Photoshop?

Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a Photoshop newbie.  I spent time over the weekend creating a Photoshop document that recreates a PDF doc that I have.  Unfortunately, it seems like text created inside of Photoshop is coming out fuzzy if you zoom in close enough.  And that is before any saving as PDF or whatnot.  What tricks do people have to create non-fuzzy text fonts inside of Photoshop?

Thanks,

Daniel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

You can use anti-Allias settings in Character Panel. Working with text just use CTRL+T shortcut and use Anti- Alias option you like.

If you use text bigger then 14 points use Smooth method

If your Text is less then 12 pt use sharp (without Anti Alias) method

It's better to use vector text to prepare PDF files. But text in PDF from Photoshop CC is still TEXT!

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use anti-Allias settings in Character Panel. Working with text just use CTRL+T shortcut and use Anti- Alias option you like.

If you use text bigger then 14 points use Smooth method

If your Text is less then 12 pt use sharp (without Anti Alias) method

It's better to use vector text to prepare PDF files. But text in PDF from Photoshop CC is still TEXT!

Pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel.

Before we can give you meaningful advice on this, we need to know the size of the image in pixels, and the size of the text also in pixels.  Note that the default unit for type layers in Points, which depend on several factors, so make sure we know the size in pixels.

Then we need to know what font, and anti alias setting you are using — it is set to Sharp in my screen shot below.  Note, having this set to None will result in jagged text.

When you get to the export to PDF it is important that you do not flatten any layers, and probably best to choose the High Quality Print preset even if not destined to be printed.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a newbie it may be worth mentioning that you can open a PDF in Photoshop; no need to recreate...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your use of the term »fuzzy« seems unfortunate to me.

In Photoshop text is represented as pixels (just like anything else) and those are not fuzzy.

But one can output type in a pdf provided one did not use faux-styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, it seems like text created inside of Photoshop is coming out fuzzy if you zoom in close enough.

What zoom level ?  If you zoom in beyond 100% you will start to see the individual pixels regardless of the text settings. That is the way Photoshop is designed to work.

A screenshot showing what you are seeing would help

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the text in Adobe Illustrator and then copy it.  Paste it into Photoshop as a Smart Object.  Illustrator still produces the cleanest text.  Photoshop does a great job... but producing text is still better in Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh also make sure.... that you have a good size image and that the resolution is good.  If you are working with something small or 72 dpi... it will still look blurry.  So work only with high res images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the text in Adobe Illustrator and then copy it.  Paste it into Photoshop as a Smart Object.

But vector Smart Objects still output as pixels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trust me on this....

Remember when your image is tiny or low res it will cause problems with any image.  Example Dribbble only allows for a certain size of image.  Most of the time I am using a vector image that I added to a Photoshop file.  Even at 300dpi when you zoom in it will not be super crisp.... but that is because the image is tiny.  Looks great as a thumbnail though or cover image.

Like I said.... text is better most of the time in Illustrator or even in InDesign.

What are you trying to do exactly or can you take a screen shot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines