• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Transferring photos to new hard drive location

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my older tower Mac to the new iMac (wow, what an improvement with the monitor). I want to copy my photos from the older hard drive to a new G-Drive with Thunderbolt. I know that it is easy, but didn't want to make a mistake, hence I would like to copy them rather rather than transfer them.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Do copy the photos to the new drive  in exactly the same folder hierarchy, then re-linking the catalog to the new location is relatively easy-

Read all of this link, in particular Paragraph 6.  at https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2017 Jan 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do copy the photos to the new drive  in exactly the same folder hierarchy, then re-linking the catalog to the new location is relatively easy-

Read all of this link, in particular Paragraph 6.  at https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-move-lightroom-to-new-computer/

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. So I copied the photos to the new external hard drive on my iMac. I turned off the old hard drive. But now I need to have the catalog, located on the iMac hard drive, locate the photos on the new hard drive. I went into File>Open catalog but couldn't see how to navigate to the actual location of the photos on the new hard drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another link that explains how to do this. Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

There is no "File->Open Catalog" involved. You right-click on the folder(s) that were moved or copied, and select either Update Folder Location or Find Missing Folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but I am still not able to connect to the missing photos on the new hard drive. Lightroom is residing on my one and only iMac hard drive and my missing folders are on a new external hard drive. I obviously need to navigate from Light room catalogue to the new location. The instructions that I was given did not bring up the missing folders dialogue box. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I don't understand you. The instructions I typed in the 2nd paragraph of my previous message explain exactly how to get to the Find Missing Folder dialog box. The links provided give detailed explanation of how to do this, with screen captures to show you how to do it.

So, please tell me the EXACT detailed steps (leaving nothing out) you have performed when you say "The instructions that I was given did not bring up the missing folders dialogue box." I need to be able to follow along (hence the need for extreme detail) to see if I can figure out what step or steps you are not doing properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines