• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pixel Tool in Flash CC?

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is anyone here familiar with the extension Pixel Tool v2.0?

I've used it for years in Flash CS3, and held on to that for dear life - but now I'm pretty much forced to start using CC. Unfortunately I can't get this extension to work in CC (Followed all the proper steps).

Does any one know of any other tools for drawing pixels directly in Flash? I know I have the Photoshop alternative, but I'd rather try to create directly in Flash if possible.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 24, 2015 Feb 24, 2015

this will get you started, or may all you want:

function pixellateF(mc:MovieClip,pixelSize:int=4):void{

var bmpd:BitmapData = new BitmapData(mc.width,mc.height,true,0xffffff);

bmpd.draw(mc);

for(var xvar:int=pixelSize/2;xvar<=mc.width;xvar+=pixelSize){

for(var yvar:int=pixelSize/2;yvar<mc.height;yvar+=pixelSize){

var col:uint = bmpd.getPixel32(xvar,yvar);

for(var xx:int=xvar-pixelSize/2;xx<xvar+pixelSize/2;xx++){

for(var yy:int=yvar-pixelSize/2

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you can use the bitmapdata class to create a function that does that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks kglad! I'm unfamiliar with bitmapdata, so I'll do some research today.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this will get you started, or may all you want:

function pixellateF(mc:MovieClip,pixelSize:int=4):void{

bmpd.draw(mc);

for(var yy:int=yvar-pixelSize/2;yy<yvar+pixelSize/2;yy++){

bmpd.setPixel32(xx,yy,col);

}

}

}

}

var bmp:Bitmap = new Bitmap(bmpd);

addChild(bmp)

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow - thanks so much!

This is going to seem like a stupid follow up, but I've never really explored the actionscript/coding aspect of Flash - If you wouldn't mind pushing me in the right direction - Where would I copy/paste/use this?

Thanks again - I really appreciate the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

first create a test movieclip on the stage and assign it an instance name (in the properties panel), eg, snowman.

then open the actions panel and paste:

var bmp:Bitmap=pixellateF(snowman,4);  // 4 is the pixel block size.  pick whatever you want.

removeChild(snowman);

addChild(bmp);

bmp.x=snowman.x;

bmp.y=snowman.y;

function pixellateF(mc:MovieClip,pixelSize:int=2):Bitmap{

bmpd.draw(mc);

for(var yy:int=yvar-pixelSize/2;yy<yvar+pixelSize/2;yy++){

bmpd.setPixel32(xx,yy,col);

}

}

}

}

return new Bitmap(bmpd);

}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2015 Dec 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could not get this to work. Even if it did, it was the pixel drawing tool that was most useful to me. The frustrating thing is that you can almost do it with pixel snapping on by simply drawing boxes with the rectangle tool. Does anyone know who made the old pixel tool for Flash. I can't find it any of the places it used to be hosted. I would love to find out what it would take for the original developer to make an updated version. I make pixel art videos in Flash and it is annoying to have to keep going back to Photoshop to modify images. Flash tools was always a bit glitchy for me, but it still saves a lot of time. If it were a premium extension, I would pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would you mind posting the extension (v2) up? I have been missing it for years as the original place it was hosted doesn't seem to exist anymore.

I would too love a version that supported CC but having access to it for the older versions again would be boss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2016 Apr 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that CC has removed the Customized Tool Panel, we no longer have the extension support for Pixel Tools.  Does anybody have any knowledge about how to obtain ANY kind of pixel brush or drawing tools in Animate?  This seems like it's currently the only Vector based animation program that supports pixel graphics and animation, and it seems like since CC, that opportunity is gone. 

Well, anybody know of an alternative program?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2016 Apr 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Best I was able to do was find a guide, then create a step by step process of making Pixel Tools (and keyframe caddy to boot) work on CS6. The guide is here​. As far as anything to do with putting Pixel Tools on CC, you're right, because the Customized Tool Panel is gone, there's no way of making that .ZXP file available to anything later than CS6. Hopefully the guide in the link above will help people who have CS6 on their computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice! kudos on finding the extension!

Using this installation method I was able to get this extension working in AnimateCC, which I assume means an installation would work on cc2015, cc2014 ect..

I had to convert the .mxp to a .zxp using cs6 extension manager, but the .zxp seems to install without a problem.

.zxp Pixel Tools 2.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please tell me how you accessed the extension after installing? It seems no matter what I do I can't get it to work.

The new extension manager says the tool was installed successfully, but I don't see it in Animate cc 2017. I even installed the old manager CS6 to convert the file again and tried with no luck. I used both the cmd method and the extension manager method with no luck.

Do you have any idea?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, I'd take another look around the toolbar. My pixel tools used to hang out with the bone tool, but now have since seemed to've relocated to nesting w/ the rectangle tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2016 Dec 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I checked every tool and it's not there. I even went over the list of all tools in "keyboard shortcuts" and there's nothing there. I have Animate CC 2017, a fresh install, not an upgrade. Which version do you have? Can you send me a screenshot where you see it in your toolbar?

Also, can you send me the file I used to install the pixel tool? maybe the file I have is damaged, idk.

Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest 2017 release of Animate CC as well, Installed using the .zxp file from post 10 using this method.

Here's a tall image of it peacefully living in the toolbar:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 10.33.18 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the picture. But it looks like your tool panel is a bit different than what I have and I also checked online and mine seems to be how animate cc should be: New features summary for the 2017 release of Animate CC (scroll down to "pressure and tilt support for vector brushes" to see all the tools. You don't have the polygon tool, my guess is that you always upgraded from the version the pixel tool worked + you customized the tools panel and somehow it stayed. If you have a fresh clean install of animate cc 2017 and you installed the pixel tool and it worked, I really have no idea how it worked for you, I tried every method I could find with no luck. I use windows 10, maybe you're on Mac? I don't know.

Anyway, I can't seem to get it to work so I'm giving up, I'll find another way to create pixel art in Animate.

Thanks anyway ^_^

Here is my tools panel. The pixel tool is not hiding in any tool, I checked them all.

Tools.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So strange.

FWIW i have it working on fresh installs for PC as well as Mac (Flash CC, Animate 2015/17), sorry I'm not able to be more help.

if you are feeling further interested, there is a file you can edit to customize the tool panel; 'toolConfig.xml' buried amongst the files designates the layout and contents of the tool panel and while it sounds like the plugin is not installing at all(evidenced by there being no keyboard shortcut customizing available), the problem could lie therein.

for reference, my toolConfig.xml is as follows:

<group>

<tool name = "arrow"/>

<tool name = "bezierSelect"/>

<tool name = "freeXform" >

<tool name = "fillXform"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "ThreeDRotate" >

<tool name = "ThreeDXform"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "lasso">

<tool name = "lassoPoly”/>

<tool name = "magicWand”/>

</tool>

<separator/>

<tool name = "pen" >

<tool name = "penplus"/>

<tool name = "penminus"/>

<tool name = "penmodify"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "text"/>

<tool name = "line"/>

<tool name = "rect" >

<tool name = "rectPrimitive"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "oval">

<tool name = "ovalPrimitive"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "polystar"/>

<tool name = "pencil"/>

<tool name = "paintBrush"/>

<tool name = "brush"/>

<separator/>

<tool name = "ikbridgelink">

<tool name = "rig"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "bucket"/>

<tool name = "inkBottle"/>

<tool name = "eyeDropper"/>

<tool name = "eraser"/>

<tool name = "width"/>

<separator/>

<tool name = "camera"/>

<tool name = "hand">

<tool name = "stageRotation"/>

</tool>

<tool name = "magnifier"/>

</group>

best of luck, keep pixel-art alive!

*edit: looking at the xml now it appears the pixeltools are actually nowhere to be found there so disregard that bit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can definitely confirm that installing the pixeltools via command line to Animate doesn't allow the pixeltools to show up on any of my toolbars.

I'm on a PC using the 2017 version. 

Not sure how you managed to get it on your version!  If anybody has any idea how to get that thing anywhere in the latest software, that would be great.

Especially since for some reason Flash CS6 has become incredibly unstable on my Windows 10 computers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my 'Configuration/Tools' folder is looking like so:Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 1.40.55 PM.png

does anyone who installed using the command line stuffs have different contents?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 3 locations: 1. my username 2. program files\configuration\tools 3. program files\configuration\first run\tools.

in the second there is only toolDefaultConfig.xml

In the 1st and third there's:

Files.jpg

I truly have no idea why it only worked for you. Can you maybe upload this missing files and I will try to add them to my folder (please specify the location exactly, I found 3).

This is truly a mystery, maybe your pc is magical?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im on Mac at the moment at the folder I showed is [users/username/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Animate CC 2017/en_US/Configuration/Tools]

my first run likewise is just PolyStar and I cant find the third location on my machine so I'm assuming thats a windows one.

its a long shot but who knows;

Heres the files missing from your folder#2.

@patach I installed using the terminal/mac & commandline/windows (this, for clarity).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY!!!! It Worked!!!

Worked.jpg

I put the files in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Animate CC 2017\en_US\Configuration\Tools, then opened Animate and it was right there in my tools panel!!! I'm so happy!

I played with it a bit, looks like a very useful tool. Had to figure out I control the size with the stroke size, while it seems to draw a shape.

I don't know why it only worked this way, but I'm glad you could send the files. Maybe this should be in some available to all storage for others to use.

Thank you very very much butterflysmasher, you made my day!!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

awesome awesome, stroke size is linked directly to what the pencil is currently set at, and undo steps back on even lines (useful for quick half-hatching).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Confirmed to work on my end as well.

Thanks for bringing Pixel Tools to Animate!  This is amazing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

please help, im using mac and i tried everything i can to get it to work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines