• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dynamic link resolution tied to comp working res?

Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this before, but am now wondering if anyone else is annoyed by this, or better yet if they have a work arround for it?

Issue:

When working on long / complex animations within AE, I tend to set the comp render / downsample to Auto and work at half res, or lower, when I'm just getting the timing blocked out, and have not begun finessing fine details.

AE preview Res.png

All is well within AE, but when using the dynamic link option and placing in the WIP animation in Premiere [ where I can make better assessment of audio cues, and cut it in context], the footage size changes to whatever the 'current settings' downsampling is set to within AE.

Does anyone know a way to prevent this, without a whole lot of babysitting either in AE or Prem?

Its particularly annoying on complex collaborative work, where say I'm animating on a high priority project where an editor is working with my dynamic link files while the paint is still wet, and I'm making changes - at whatever downsample I need at the time.

Suggestion:

This seems like a setting that should have a global override, either within Premiere, or AE. If in Premiere, the dynamic link render could autoscale to the comp size.

Preferably, its an AE preference box, that lets the user override 'current settings' for downsampling when handing off to dynamic links.

I tend to use dynamic link for the early stages of development, getting thru a few rounds of revisions, and then do final renders to get things archival before wrapping up the project, as they can get pretty heavy with motion blur, grain and other CPU/GPU expensive tools.

I do this either with a 'render and replace' within Prem [ so far so good, its an awesome workflow addition for me], or trusty dusty render queue.

Which BTW has render settings that have always been able to override, or go along with 'current settings', which have included downsampling.

Que Render settings.png
I guess my short version of the question is " why can't dynamic links have the same functionality?"

Sorry for the long post!

Cheers and Happy New Year everyone

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Select the clip, and chose from the menu 'clip/video options/ scale to frame size'.

don't. you are downgrading your image. this is a bug in the current version and the workaround is there: Known issues in After Effects CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DOH. After spending so long writing that, I just found a workaround that seems to be OK, within Premiere.

Select the clip, and chose from the menu 'clip/video options/ scale to frame size'.

Prem Scale to frame size.png

This accomplishes my Premiere suggestion, and just blows up the AE dynamic link file to fit the frame size.

Decent work around, but still requires vigilance /babysitting if doing a 'render and replace' within Premiere.

Anyone else agree that an AE pref would still be the way to go?

D

and PS, I'm using Prem 2017.0.1, and AE 2017.0, on a Mac OSX 10.11.6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't. you are downgrading your image. this is a bug in the current version and the workaround is there: Known issues in After Effects CC 2017

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roeiyossef​- Thanks! I should remember to check that known issues list before posting anything here!

By all means, I'm not suggesting that the 'scale clip to frame size' is a solution, or that you would want to use this for finals.

Just simply a way to have temp work display correctly [ albeit at a low resolution] while you are working.

And FYI, I tested the 'Render and replace' feature in this situation, and the render was downsampled [IE it is not able to do a 'full quality' override]... So be vigilant of your renders.

Well I'm glad it's a known issue, and I hope Adobe will make changes similar to my suggestions at the top of this thread.

Kevin-Monahan​, any ideas?

Thanks for the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who is looking at this, my 'workaround' for displaying temp comps full frame size via 'scale to frame size' is highly unadvisable- even just for temps!

Its not an effect that can easily be removed in bulk via 'remove attributes'; and if you are working in Premiere with any subsampling to increase playback performance, it becomes very buggy and unstable. I retract my previous post on the issue!

I'm hoping that someone can write a script for AE that can batch set comp subsampling to 1:1, using something similar to rd_CompSetter, which comes painfully close to doing so already

rd_CompSetter_33.png

Best,

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know when this will be fixed? I have projects with dozens of linked comps and it takes way too long with the workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Darn- I thought this insanely useful script might be of some help for you, but it does not appear to have a 'subsampling' render settings controls..

http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_CompSetter

Lots of really amazing scripts in here though, and perhaps someone can find an AE script based workaround for a "Set all comp subsampling to 1:1" , or the like.

Got to get back to work, but good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines