• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot edit page numbers in Master Pages (ID)

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to shift the position of my already established page numbering. Or in failing that, delete the current πage number fields and start over.
The problem is, when I open my Master Pages, go to the Pages panel and select a page, then select either the Selection Tool or the Direct Selection Tool,

I am unable to select the page number fields with either tool (or the Text tool). The page number fields remain grayed out. I've tried other things to no avail. I'm stuck. I cannot edit/adjust my page numbering position.
Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.
Kyle

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong.
In the PAGES panel;
I was clicking on the icon of the spread pages (to the right), or clicking directly on the text "A-Master" only ONCE.

Once I DOUBLE-CLICKED directly on the text "A-Master", then the correct interface appeared, and I was able to edit the page number positioning.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kyle -
Are some of your Master Pages based on other Master Pages? If so, you would need to find the top-level Master page to make the correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't select a page number in Master pages.
I want to change the page number position universally- on all pages (that are set to display page numbers).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe that the Master Page I'm referring to is based on another master page. (I certainly did not set it up so intentionally)
In the panel that shows all the files contained in my book project, only one file is shown to be a style source.
I realize now I'm not clear on what relation a style source has to Master pages (I was assuming they were closely related.)

I've tried opening other early chapters of my book (that might accidentally be Master pages) and I'm also unable to select the page number fields there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I am confused as to what you are trying to select, and what is "grayed out".

Your master page should appear something like below, with the page number markers appearing as a letter based on the Master Page name. 

Screenshot 2017-01-03 15.18.04.png

If by "earlier Chapters", you mean other documents, Master pages only apply to the document they are in (although they can be synced across Book documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PAGES panel;
I was clicking on the icon of the spread pages (to the right), or clicking directly on the text "A-Master" only ONCE.

Once I DOUBLE-CLICKED directly on the text "A-Master", then the correct interface appeared, and I was able to edit the page number positioning.

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You state "select a page" do you mean you can't select a page number in the  Master pages or do you want to change position of a page number on certain text pages?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open your Layers panel and check that the layer that contains the page number is unlocked. If the layer is unlocked, go to the Object menu and choose Unlock All On Spread. I've seen designers lock objects out of habit but it's really overkill.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked and all my layers are unlocked. (The option: Unlock All On Spread - is also grayed out)
HOWEVER, my page numbers are not listed in the Layers.

I was assuming that the chapter of my book project that has the - style source icon - next to it, is the Master page.
This also corresponds to what I believe i set up as the master page.

It's been a while now since I set up the page numbering.

Maybe now you can see where my error is.

Thanks!
Kyle

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

this is EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kyle—would you share a screen shot of your primary master page (usually A-Master but could have any name) with the Pages and Layers Panel open?

InDesign CCss_010.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the PAGES panel;

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines