• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Folder could not be found - already in catalog

Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a set of about 50 DNG files that have been fully edited but some how the folder now show in the wrong directory in the library. The folder shows a ? in front of it. When I locate the folder that contains the file in Explorer I get the message that the file is associated with another photo in the catalog. If I try to re-import it, LR shows that it is already imported.

How do I find the file that the catalog is associated with?

Jim

[please refrain from PII and 3rd party URLs in this area - Moderator]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

So in the first case where you found two instances, you have obviously imported the photo twice, one time now has edits and the other instance doesn't have the edits. It is most likely the "missing" photo that has the edits. Here's how you correct the problem

1. Using LR, delete the photo with no edits (but is not missing) from the LR catalog, but not from the hard disk.
  2. In LR, for the photo that is missing (but has the edits), click on the exclamation point icon on the photo and select the location

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do a search in Lightroom for one of these files by file name. Follow all of these steps, in the sequence shown:

1. click on All Photographs on the left hand side of the Library Module (under Catalog)
  2. turn off all filters (Ctrl-L once or twice)
  3. expand all stacks (Photo->Stacking->Expand All Stacks)
  4. In the filter bar, click on text and type in the file name of one of these files

Do you find two different instances of this photo? Does one instance have edits and is listed as missing? Does the other instance have no edits, but is not listed as missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks DJ - for one of the file in the folder with the ? I found two instances. One instance pointed to the folder that contained the file. However for another file it only found the file in the folder with the ?. Technically this folder does not exist. This is true for 7 of the 47 files in the non-existent folder.

How do I find these files?

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So in the first case where you found two instances, you have obviously imported the photo twice, one time now has edits and the other instance doesn't have the edits. It is most likely the "missing" photo that has the edits. Here's how you correct the problem

1. Using LR, delete the photo with no edits (but is not missing) from the LR catalog, but not from the hard disk.
  2. In LR, for the photo that is missing (but has the edits), click on the exclamation point icon on the photo and select the location where the photo actually resides in your operating system.

In the second case, where you have found only one instance of the photo and it is missing according to LR, you should be able to skip step 1 above and just perform step 2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear DJ

The 7 DNG files in question have simply disappeared from the system. I have searched the entire system and they are nowhere. These files are on a dedicated 4TB hard drive. I have searched the entire HD including the recycle bin and they are simply gone. The interesting anomaly is that 6 of the 7 are HDR files created with Lightroom's HDR program. It's as if the OS is treating them as hidden files.

Do you have any other suggestions

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's as if the OS is treating them as hidden files.

I don't know why the OS would do that, but you can search for hidden files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the try DJ,

If you have any new thoughts let me know,

Jim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Look in the trash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines