Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Muse fixed / fluid ruler defaults.

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all.

Trying to understand why Muse doesn't have a default zero pixel ruler on fixed breakpoints /

Currently defaults to the next smallest breakpoint as opposed to fluid breakpoints that start at zero pixels.

It's causing all sorts of issues with objects and didn't take me long to break an entire newly designed site.
A little frustrating.

Any work arounds would be appreciated.

Pics attached:

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 4.30.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 4.30.31 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

This is because unlike fluid width layout the fixed width layout has a fixed minimum and maximum page width and 0 pixel is the point from where your page starts in that particular breakpoint.

After enabling guides you will be able to understand this more clearly.

In fixed width layout your page can only either be centered or left aligned, however with fluid width layout gives you an option of either a centered layout or a full browser width layout, and that is the reason you have a difference in

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is because unlike fluid width layout the fixed width layout has a fixed minimum and maximum page width and 0 pixel is the point from where your page starts in that particular breakpoint.

After enabling guides you will be able to understand this more clearly.

In fixed width layout your page can only either be centered or left aligned, however with fluid width layout gives you an option of either a centered layout or a full browser width layout, and that is the reason you have a difference in measurements.

There is a similar kind of discussion going on in this thread which will give you more insight - Fixed Breakpoints Cannot Have Own Page Widths?

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ankush that's super helpful!!
I've had a read over that thread and understand how this works now.

• Fluid for each breakpoint page size.
• Fixed for overall page size & content

I've been looking at a mixture of fluid & fixed breakpoints in order to achieve scroll effects with responsive pages but perhaps it's not quite there yet. So i'll stick to one or the other for now.

It would be great in the future to see Adobe implement a draggable ruler for fixed content & breakpoints.
(I understand the importance of pixel perfect design and how this constraint works but being able to zero in on some breakpoints would be extremely handy for design details.)

Regards,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, for your valuable feedback, we will definitely 6take this into consideration.

The ideas and suggestions for betterment of Muse can also be shared here - Ideas for features in Adobe Muse

Kind Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ankush, I hope you can help me. I have read through this thread and changed my layout from fixed to fluid but it does not give me the option for full browser width layout. The zero point of my rule is set about 150 pixels to the right of where I need it to be. Because of this, when I add a background image, it doesn't fill the background space. See image below. How do I fix this? I have the background image setting set to tile and align to the top left of the page.

P.S. the link to the other thread you added doesn't seem to work anymore.

Capture.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Please go to the page properties and check all the breakpoints make sure it is fluid width especially the outer breakpoint.

Regards,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!! I didn't know I had to make it fluid at the site level and at the page level. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Most welcome, glad that it helped.

Good luck and cheers,

Ankush

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mackenzied23133180 wrote:

Currently defaults to the next smallest breakpoint

no it defaults to the smallest breakpoint

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotcha!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines