• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon 70D Wifi Tethering broken with the new update

Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before the latest Lightroom update I had no problems using WiFI tethering using my Canon 70D. I went to do a shoot tonight and I couldn't get it to work at all. Nothing has changed on my computer other than updating to the most recent version of Lightroom CC.

After several hours of troubleshooting I've determined that the something in the update broke wifi tethering for Canon.

Here's what I did:

I started the EOS utility and turned on my Canon 70D to connect to my pocket router. The camera connected fine to the router as well as my computer. When I opened LR and clicked Tether Capture, Start Tether Capture, filled in the data and clicked Ok. All I got was "No Camera Detected." I closed LR and opened the Canon utility and the tried remote capture. It worked fine there. I uninstalled and reinstalled LR. No joy! I uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS utility...no joy.

Finally I looked to dll/plugin files which come from the Canon SDK kit that control the wifi tethering in Lightroom.

These files are found in Windows in C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\tether_canon.lrplugin. The files in particular are EDSDK.dll and EdsImage.dll. I backed up and tried replacing the .dll files from the latest version of my EOS utility found in C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility. When I tried the tether capture in LR I then got an error message that it couldn't start properly.

Next I backed up all the files in the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom\tether_canon.lrplugin folder and deleted them. I replaced them with EDSDK.dll and EdsImage.dll from LR 5.7 (old laptop still had it) along with tether_canon.exe and tether_canon.lrplugin. I tried tether capture again in LR and wah lah, it worked!!

This tells me that something is definitely wrong with the files in the newest update. 

If you can't tell this isn't my first rodeo with LR and tether capturing and that's why I knew to check the files out. Can you please pass this on to your developers to see if they can recreate the problem and hopefully come up with a fix that doesn't manually reverting to a previous version of the tethering files.

If you need any other information please feel free to let me know at anytime!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

This is a user to user community. The engineers will see it if you copy your post into the feedback forum.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a user to user community. The engineers will see it if you copy your post into the feedback forum.

Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the very useful reply.

Where can I get the LR 5.7 files?

When the Adobe support was working with me, I reverted to an old version of LR. It may have been LR4. Since then I have updated to release 2015.8. Now I can't find a way to get back to the older version. Perhaps that can get me the files I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the Creative cloud app installed you can click on it, go to apps, Find additional apps and select view previous versions. There you should be able to see when you click install LR CC 2015, 5.7 and 4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I followed your instructions and everything worked!

A well deserved pat on the back, and thank you!

I would like to mark this as answered, but don't know how.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines