• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to adjust a 3D Camera to make it render as 360 spherical VR?

Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The title pretty much sums up the question.  Basically there are a lot of complex ways (creating 6 cameras, etc)  and plugins you can use to render VR scenes from After Effects.  Why not sim

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

The math involved would be extremely complex and laying out a comp in 3D space with a 3D camera would be a whole new experience. The plug-in from Metal does a great job of creating the projections in a workflow that is fairly easy to understand and follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(hit post too soon)

Why not simply have the 3D AE camera where you can set the FOV for 360deg VR? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The math involved would be extremely complex and laying out a comp in 3D space with a 3D camera would be a whole new experience. The plug-in from Metal does a great job of creating the projections in a workflow that is fairly easy to understand and follow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not simply have the 3D AE camera where you can set the FOV for 360deg VR?

Mathematically impossible. A simple pinhole camera such as AE uses it for its model can never be 360 degrees because then the filmback size would be zero. This requires specific code, which isn't there. Even if it was, it's debatable whether there are actually any genuinely valid 360 cameras out there. As long as everything is patched together from multiple cameras, that's probably not the case and you can establish a similar workflow already by using Skybox Studio from Mettle.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I'm asking because I'm working in Modo where I'm rendering a perfect 360 VR scene from their 360 VR camera.  And I need to composite on top of the scene I'm rendering in AE.  I'm using Mettle Skybox V2, but it's a difficult process, because the Modo camera is moving, and Skybox V2 requires a lot of extra steps to composite on top of - and match the movement of - a moving camera.

Modo, Maya, C4D and pretty much every 3D package have 360 VR spherical cameras now.  How they achieve that, I don't know, but you work from a single camera, and it produces a perfects, seamless 360 VR render.  I guess for the people that developed the 360 VR cameras in the 3D packages, they used a different approach than a "pinhole" camera.  But if they can do it, why can't Adobe?

Robert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines