• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Performance issues with LR6/CC

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been working with LR since LR3 and was generally satisfied with the workflow and performance. Currently I am still using LR5.7 with no problems. As I intend to by a new camera which is not supported anymore by LR5, I installed LR6/CC for testing the software before buying (as usual).

The download and installation went fine. LR5 catalogue was integrated in the new software after some minutes. So no any trouble.

After 1-2 hours working with LR6 I realized that several functions in the develop module are working slower than before, though my graphic card is supported.

With disabling the use of graphic card it works slightly faster (?) but it still takes longer than in LR5.

Also the 1:1 rendering after importing files takes almost double the time.

Understanding that LR6/CC should have a better performance than LR5 I am wondering, what went wrong.

I it helps to understand the situation, here a some features of my hardware:

Intel I7 Skylake CPU (4.0 GHz), 32GB DDR4 RAM, 800GB PCI-E SSD, GPU AMD Fire Pro W5100 4GB GDDR5

BR
Rolf

Germany

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Thanks for the link, I have read the English version and honestly, I think this is more marketing than technically correct. (It's not hard to find many other examples of words written by Adobe that are not technically correct.)

Here's what is said in English: "Import and perfect your photos faster than ever. Lightroom takes advantage of compatible graphics processors to boost its overall speed, especially when you’re enhancing images in the Develop module." It's not clear if the words "faster tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 1-2 hours working with LR6 I realized that several functions in the develop module are working slower than before, though my graphic card is supported.

Be specific. What functions are slower?

Be specific. What graphics card? (And what is the size in pixels of your monitor?)

Intel I7 Skylake CPU (4.0 GHz)

Be specific. What is the exact model of your CPU?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. You asked me to be more specific. Therefore I took the last two hours to make a small test.

Functions:

I made 96 photos with my old 5D MK II this morning and imported them in both, LR 6 and LR5.7.

Afterwards I tested some functions in the development module.

I started with LR6 on a clean PC (i.e. just switched on, no further software running). After this I closed LR6 and started directly with LR5.7 (no PC reset in between)

Here are my results:

Library module:

Importing 96 pics from CF-Card: LR5.7 - 60 sec LR6 - 45 sec

1:1 Rendering: LR5.7 - 7:33 LR6 – 8:53

Development module:

Zoom in/out to 1:1 and back LR5.7 – 3-4 sec LR6 – 3-5 sec

Skipping between the photos: LR5.7 – fluently LR6 – “stutters” slightly

White Balance by “Pipette”: LR5.7 - <= 1 sec LR6 – 1-2 sec

Auto tone: LR5.7 - ~1 sec LR6 - ~2 sec

Erasing 10 dust particles with

healing brush (same photo): LR5.7 – 14 sec LR6 – 20 sec

Though the last test is also depending on my ”user speed” it shows the

general impression. I need to wait until LR6 allows me to continue with

the next procedure like using the healing brush again for the next dust particle.

Some time difference might be academic if it is just 1 sec but it sums up over

the time and my work speed is reduced.

Graphics card:

I am using an AMD Fire Pro W5100 Graphic card for Workstations. Details you will find here:

http://www.amd.com/en-us/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/5100#

The resolution of my monitor (EIZO) is 2560 x 1440 pixels

CPU:

Intel I7-6700K with 4.0 GHz. Details are here:

http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz

btw: My testing period of LR 6 seems to expire today. I remember having usually 30 days test period

to check the functions of my former Adobe products. This time only 7 days….

Regards

Rolf

Von: dj_paige

Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. Januar 2017 13:04

An: Rolf Zimmermann

Betreff: Performance issues with LR6/CC

created by dj_paige <https://forums.adobe.com/people/dj_paige> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9236287#9236287>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the performance improve if you turn off the Graphics acceleration? (Go to preferences, click on the performance tab, then uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried it. The performance is better w/o the graphics acceleration, very close to LR5.7.

I would say, after some spot tests, 0-5% slower than before (depending on the function).

The 1:1 rendering is still as slow as before, i.e. remarkable slower than LR5.7…

At the end no general performance improvement with the new version, though stated

as one of the important benefits in LR6. I am wondering, what hardware is required to

experience an acceleration?

BR

Rolf

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2017 13:08

created by dj_paige <https://forums.adobe.com/people/dj_paige> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9238850#9238850>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the end no general performance improvement with the new version, though stated as one of the important benefits in LR6.

Naturally, we all have our blind spots, and I can't claim to have read (or remember) everything that was ever said about LR 6, but I am not aware of such a statement from Adobe about general speed benefits of LR6/LR CC 2015 compared to LR 5. What I have seen stated by Adobe is speed improvement of LR 6 when using 4K and 5K monitors, compared to LR 5.

Also, when you did these tests (very thorough, by the way), have you made sure you have turned off face recognition?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understood and it was not said, that LR is a poor software. There are many reasons I do want to stay with the software.

Regarding the Performance I copied a screenshot from Adobe homepage:

Though it is in German you may believe me, that there is an officially announced better performance (“Verbesserte Performance”) stated. In the following it is stated that

the import and developing of photos has been accelerated, especially in the “Develop” module (due to the usage of Graphic processors). There is nothing mentioned about 4K or 5K monitors….

I guess, the statement is the same in English on the US homepage, from here I have some trouble to reach a non-German HP.

BR

Rolf

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2017 13:55

created by dj_paige <https://forums.adobe.com/people/dj_paige> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9238908#9238908>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen capture did not appear, you cannot attach screen captures by e-mail, you can only attach screen captures via the web interface. Nevertheless, if you would be so kind as to provide the link to the German web site where you see this, I would like to read it, or find the equivalent English version.

Speed improvements in the develop module, as far as I know, are available only if you have a 4K or 5K monitor and an appropriate GPU; but as I said, maybe I simply am unaware of what Adobe is trying to say. Having the appropriate GPU will not speed up importing (although perhaps other changes that I am unaware of could speed up importing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the URL:

http://www.adobe.com/de/products/photoshop-lightroom/features.html

It is stated at the release of LR CC of April 21, 2015.

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2017 14:37

created by dj_paige <https://forums.adobe.com/people/dj_paige> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9239009#9239009>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, I have read the English version and honestly, I think this is more marketing than technically correct. (It's not hard to find many other examples of words written by Adobe that are not technically correct.)

Here's what is said in English: "Import and perfect your photos faster than ever. Lightroom takes advantage of compatible graphics processors to boost its overall speed, especially when you’re enhancing images in the Develop module." It's not clear if the words "faster than ever" applies to both "Import and Perfect" or just "Perfect".

You can also read what the lead software engineer for Lightroom, Eric Chan, had to say about what the GPU can and cannot do, and he specifically states that the GPU will not speed up importing, and the GPU only affects some operations in the Develop module, it does not affect "overall speed". GPU notes for Lightroom CC (2015)

So again, unless there are some changes that affect speed that are unrelated to the GPU which I am unaware of, I am very skeptical that LR 6 is supposed to be actually faster in general than LR 5.

Perhaps we will never really resolve this and know what Adobe meant by the above statement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the clarification.

btw: I have some other photo software were the GPU brought some remarkable speed improvement.

Seems to me that Adobe is not taking this serious enough. Let’s wait for the future.

Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2017 15:24

created by dj_paige <https://forums.adobe.com/people/dj_paige> in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussion <https://forums.adobe.com/message/9239032#9239032>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

rolfz81445034 wrote:

Seems to me that Adobe is not taking this serious enough. Let’s wait for the future.

But Eric Chan, in the link provided, states clearly that LR 6 is the first effort to use the GPU, not the final effort, and there will be more development regarding the usage of the GPU to speed up other parts of LR. I don't know how much more serious you want them to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines