• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy/Paste from AI to INDD

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I have a simple vector path in AI CS5.1 and I'm trying to copy and paste-in-place to INDD CS5.5 (Windows). I need it to remain an editable vector. I've read that I need to go to Edit>Preferences> FIle Handling and Clipboard Handling but I do not see that. I see File Handling and Clipboard handling as two separate windows, neither of which have a selection for AICB preferences to preserve path or anything...where can I find this setting to adjust (if that's the issue). Am I missing something?

Thanks much!

indd.jpg

indd2.jpgindd3.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

The limit for vector shapes to be retained is very low, as I pointed out above. Here's a post I wrote about it a long time ago, and the limit still holds:

http://indesignsecrets.com/the-magic-number.php

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When it's a simple path, I just copy from Illustrator and paste to InDesign with the default Preferences.

Make sure your path has an Appearance, such as a fill and / or stroke.

Look at the Transform panel for the X and Y in case you need to type the co-ordinates in again. It probably won't go in the same place.

If it is complex, don't copy and paste it. Use File > Place to place a linked file. Make the changes in Illustrator and update the graphic in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The File Handling and Clipboard Preferences is in Illustrator, not in InDesign.

Jane is correct. Only simple paths up to about 500 anchor points can remain as vectors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! I went in AI and made that adjustment. Still not able to copy/paste it as a vector though. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File > Place is about the only thing you SHOULD be doing. AICB is a very simple mechanism, and your graphic is not simple. AICB is fine for copy n pasting an arrowhead shape, but more sophisticated things quickly outstrip its ability.

Remember that after placing an .AI file, you can Opt/Alt double-click it on the InDesign page, and you are popped instantly over to Illustrator for editing.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i use "place" it also comes in as a single object, not editable...is it supposed to do that? So I should be editing in AI and not in INDD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The limit for vector shapes to be retained is very low, as I pointed out above. Here's a post I wrote about it a long time ago, and the limit still holds:

http://indesignsecrets.com/the-magic-number.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if you choose File > Place, the graphic will not be editable directly in InDesign. You'd have to edit the Illustrator file to make any changes and then update the link in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a strange looking shape. Are you sure it's vector in Illustrator? A screen shot of the shape in Illustrator along with displaying the Appearance panel would help. Also, Paste in Place probably won't work because you're dealing with two different programs. I don't think InDesign will honor the positioning of an object from Illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I do a simple copy/paste it does not come into indesign as an editable vector path. It also does not paste-in-place. Below is an image of the path - i don't think it would be too complex (?) it's a simple shape with a hatch pattern.

How do I paste-in-place from AI to INDD and keep the path as an editable vector?

I just went in AI and adjusted the settings to AICB- preserve paths. "Copy as PDF" is not checked. indd4.jpg

Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines