• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash Player 24.0.0.189 settings don't stay set on Mac

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I installed the beta version of Flash Player - v. 24.0.0.189 - on both my Mac computers, I've found the Flash Player settings I put in are not being saved. They change back to the defaults in an hour or so (haven't actually timed it, but I check several times a day and usually find them changed). No one else has access to my computers, and even if they did, they'd have to know my password to log on first too, before they could revert my choices. Why anyone would want to change them is beyond me. I don't know how this is happening, but because it's is on both my 2011 MacBook Air laptop and my 2016 Mac Mini, I'm concerned. Is it something in the beta version's code that makes it do this?

I don't want them at the default settings for security reasons. This issue has come up before and was fixed, but now it's back again. Why is this happening and is there a way to contact Adobe to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[moved to Flash Player Beta Channel  forums]

Please file a bug at https://bugbase.adobe.com.  Please provide detailed information with regards to which settings you modify and then are reset.  Indicate whether or not it does reproduce in the current stable version (24.0.0.186) in the bug details.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link you provided is no longer good. I got the message below from it:

Please be advised that this website is now read-only and will be shut down soon.

Please use https://tracker.adobe.com <https://tracker.adobe.com/>, going forward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry,  I didn't realize the switch had occurred already.  Please go ahead and file the bug at https://tracker.adobe.com (I don't see a new bug for this issue there).

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m in the process of doing so now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to submit my bug report, but it keeps saying, "Bug Submission Failed" after I click to the Add Bug box.

How am I supposed to notify Adobe of the issues when it won’t take my report?

I can’t seem to find another way to let them know.

Am going to uninstall FP on both my computers and install the previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jsnap

I apologize for the issues you're encountering.  I'll notify the folks responsible for the site that there is an issue.

In the interim, please the details of the settings that keep getting reset here (essentially post the details of the bug record that couldn't get submitted) and we'll have someone look into it.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

I couldn’t respond the last couple days, because I've been trying to keep up with the snow shoveling here in Colorado, which is exhaustingly hard work, and everything else that must be done too, such as eating and staying hydrated, end of year bookkeeping, etc.. I’ve a very busy day today so won’t be able to get to this until either late in the day or over the weekend.

Jill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jsnap ,

That's OK.  I've never had to shovel snow (yet), but can imagine how exhausting it can be, especially with the amount of snow some parts of the country have been getting this past week.  Just provide the info when you can.  Also, please reply to my colleague's questions about the behaviour experiences when attempting to file the bug.  It's a new bug database for us and we'd like to figure out why you were unable to file the bug.

--

Maria

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First things first, info relating to my OP...

My computers' details:

Mac Mini: Late 2014 model - bought new, June 2016

Processor: 3 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: Intel Iris 1536 MB

MacBook Air: 11-inch Mid 2011 - bought late 2011

Processors: 1.6 Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory: 2 GB 1333 Mhz DDR3

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 288 MB

Btw, I don’t turn off my computers at night. I let them go to sleep on their own, unless I’m away from home. Although, I do generally close the lid on the Air, which effectively puts it to sleep, even at home. I don’t shut them off, unless absolutely necessary, or when required after updates.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by your first question, "Are you updating all the mandatory fields?", but if it's what I think you're asking, this is what I find and do on both my Macs everyday. Upon waking each computer in the mornings - generally between 4 and 6 am, I open the System Preferences to check the FP settings. I then put them back to what I want them at and close the System Preferences.

I check the FP settings a few times a day to verify my settings are still in place. They seem to stay as I set them throughout each day, but on the following day, I find they have reverted again to the default settings; so, I have to reset them once again. This was never an issue in any previous version that I'm aware of.

Yesterday, I tried to fix this problem by uninstalling FP and reinstalling it again on only my Mac Mini. I had hoped there was a newer build, or an older one I could go back to, but the beta version 24.0.0.186 is the only one that was offered to me, after choosing the Mac OS version I’m using.

Here are the details for each setting in System Preferences>Flash Player I find when I check in the mornings:

•   • Under the Storage tab, the default is always chosen again as - Allow sites to save information on this computer. I choose - Block all sites from storing information on this computer. I know this is only for sites using Flash Player, but many websites I use require Flash Player for the videos to work, which include all the news sites I read, and the sites where I watch various videos - TV and/or movies. I don’t have a TV, so I watch programming on either of my computers.

•   • Under the Camera and Mic tab, the default is always chosen again as - Ask me when a site wants to use the camera or microphone (recommended). I don't know why this is recommended, because anyone who would be interested in spying or listening in on others wouldn't ask for permission to use or take control of either of these. Not that I think anyone is spying on me, but you never know; hackers can do all sorts of things these days. Some are voyeurs, others want to take control of our devices for whatever reason, some want to steal money and/or IDs from unsuspecting others, etc.. I set it to - Block all sites from using the camera and mic.

•   • Under the Playback tab, the default is always chosen again as - Ask me when a site wants to use peer-assisted networking. I choose - Block all sites from using peer-assisted networking. No site has ever asked me to use peer-assisted network, but I’ve always blocked them from doing it. Not really necessary for me.

•   • Under the Updates tab, I just leave it at Notify me to install updates. I used to have it set to Never check…, but only because by the time I get a notification, I’ve already done the latest updates. I generally check for FP updates every week or so, because the notifications are quite late in coming from either Adobe or Apple. I usually find out there’s a new FP update from one of the news sites I read.

•   • Under the Advanced tab’s Browsing Data and Settings, I usually choose to Delete All Site Data and Settings, once a day, or more, for security reason, and for saving on local memory space. However, I just read the entire sentence, “Delete all local storage, saved choices, settings, and other data used by Flash Player across all browsers on this computer.” So, now I’m wondering if by deleting all, I’m inadvertently resetting my FP settings on my computers. If this is the reason I have to reset my choices each morning, it’s a poorly designed. Each choice under this section should be separated. I delete the local storage daily for the same reason I clear the browsing histories, cookies, caches, etc., regularly, for each browser (Safari and Firefox). Sometimes that’s daily, sometimes not. So, I ran a test of this just now, on my MacBook Air...
  • I logged in to the Air.
  • Clicked System Preferences>Flash Player>Advanced>Browsing Data and Settings.
  • Clicked Deleted All.
  • Delete All Site Data and Settings was already .
  • Clicked Delete Data.
  • Waited a minute.
  • Closed System Prefs.
  • Rebooted the laptop and logged in.
  • Opened System Prefs>Flash Player.
  • Checked the previously chosen setting

My chosen settings had not reverted back to the default settings. So, I can only conclude that at some point during the night, or very early daytime, there is something in the most recent build of FP’s code that resets FP’s settings back to the defaults, almost as though it's got some sort of timer built into the code to do this.

This posting may look funny, because I was logged out while typing this up and had to cut and paste it into a Pages doc to complete it, then copy and paste it back on here. This forum site is terrible. Never have I been logged out so quickly of other forum sites while typing up a post or reply to one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed information.  One point to clarify.  You stated:

I had hoped there was a newer build, or an older one I could go back to, but the beta version 24.0.0.186 is the only one that was offered to me, after choosing the Mac OS version I’m using.

24.0.0.186 is a stable release, not beta release.  Are you referring to the stable release, 24.0.0.186, or the beta version 24.0.0.189 in this comment?  Can you please edit the post to clarify this?  Thank you.

Did you first notice this behaviour in 24.0.0.186 or 24.0.0.189?  Or some other (prevoius) version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.0.0.186 is the version on both my computers. I thought it was a beta version, my error.

I’ll edit my posts to remove mentions of it being a beta version. Thanks for the correction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh geez, I guess I can't edit after a certain amount of time has passed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my original post, I wrote that I had the beta release v. 24.0.0.189 on both my computers, which was true then, and I was having the settings issue on both computers too. So, that's all still true.

On Friday morning, Jan. 6,  I wrote that I had uninstalled FP on my Mac Mini computer, and installed what you claim is a stable release v. 24.0.0.186. Later in the day, I also did this on my MacBook Air.

As of today, Saturday, Jan. 7, I'm still seeing the same problem on both computers - the FP settings reverted back to the default ones sometime this morning.

I can't edit the post(s) where I wrote FP v. 24.0.0.186 is a beta version. 6 of my 9 pervious posts (so, not including this one, which is post 10) appear to be locked! When I click on the Actions tab at the bottom of my posts, numbers 1 (the op), 2,4,5,6, and 8, I see the message, "No actions are available". I can neither edit nor delete those, only the other ones, as of today anyway. Why would that be the case?

Can you get them unlocked, so they can be edited?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2017 Jan 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I updated to the newest FP NPAPI version 24.0.0.194 this morning on both my computers, then set the preferences as I like them. I'll watch them for a few days and see if they have the issue of reverting back to the defaults. Hopefully not. Will update after a couple days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jsnap,

Please provide the following information:-

• Are you updating all the mandatory fields?
  • Are you uploading any attachment? If yes, kindly specify the type of attachment.

For any issues faced while logging the bug, you can directly log a bug in tracker under "Adobe Tracker [TKR]" project.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nitanwar wrote:

Hi jsnap,

Please provide the following information:-

• Are you uploading any attachment? If yes, kindly specify the type of attachment.

For any issues faced while logging the bug, you can directly log a bug in tracker under "Adobe Tracker [TKR]" project.

Thanks

As much as I could, yes, but I haven't tried again since Jan. 4th. I had to deal with the foot of snow we got Wed-Thurs. here. Back breaking work for my daughter and I.

No, I wasn't uploading any attachments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines