Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush adds white or black streak instead of mask

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Still getting used to photoshop CC but I have a little glitch that occurs, when i am in quick mask mode and i want to adjust the selection with the red field , when i choose the white or black squares it instead creates a white or black streak instead of actually a red streak meaning its adjusting  hopefully someone knows what it means) has anyone had this issue where the brush doesn't adjust the mask it simply paints white or black ?/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hopefully someone knows what it means

I do not quite understand your description.

Please post screenshots including the pertinent Panels (Layers, Channels, …).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant post screenshots now currently, but if you know what quick mask mode is, it creates a red field of whats been selected, if i choose one of the white or black squares in the tool bar, it will reveal or conceal , so i then select my brush to adjust the selection, but sometimes it wont adjust it just paints either white or black depending on which square i have selected

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But what is actually selected in the Channels Panel?

Without screenshots it seems difficult to offer meaningful advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh i didnt know i had to choose anything in channels, i only had the layers panel selected , i was just wondering if theres a glitch that causes the brush to paint instead of adjust

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by »adjust«?

The Brush Tool is used to paint, whether you paint on a Layer in all composite Channels or just one Channel (such as the one created by invoking Quick Mask) does not change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so ill try to explain better with out photos,

if i create a new layer mask , the brush should either conceal or reveal the background layer underneath , sometimes when i am attempting to make this adjustment with the brush instead of revealing the background underneath or concealing it, the brush will simply paint a white or black paint streak, it does not reveal any underlying layers , it only adds paint strokes which ruin the image

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and I have to keep clicking back and forth on the black or white squares or the brush icon to finally get it to reset itself and begin adjusting the masks instead of painting streaks or i  have to exit photoshop and reopen altogether

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you are not actually in Quick Mask mode, and that you are painting directly on the selected layer.  Toggle Quick Mask on and off, and watch the icon at the bottom of the toolbar, and the layer which becomes highlighted in red.

I

Also double click the Quick Mask icon to see what its settings are.  A lot of people prefer to have the Selected area highlighted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

so ill try to explain better with out photos,

Why do you not post the requested screenshots (including the pertinent Panels and Toolbox)?  

if i create a new layer mask , the brush should either conceal or reveal the background layer underneath , sometimes when i am attempting to make this adjustment with the brush instead of revealing the background underneath or concealing it, the brush will simply paint a white or black paint streak, it does not reveal any underlying layers , it only adds paint strokes which ruin the image

So what is the problem – Layer Masks or Quick Mask?

And again: What is selected in the Channels Panel?

and I have to keep clicking back and forth on the black or white squares or the brush icon to finally get it to reset itself and begin adjusting the masks instead of painting streaks or i  have to exit photoshop and reopen altogether

X is the single-key-shortcut to switch and D to rest Foreground and Background Colour, so you might be able to save yourself some »clicking«.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the Quick Mask Options?

The red color is a possible setting, but one could also set it to some other color.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines