• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to save JPG with path for masking the background?

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some old JPG files that come with the path in each one so when I placed them in Indesign, it automatically remove the background for me. I wonder how I can save the jpg file like that?

I tried to create a path for a new image and save it but when I placed it in Indesign, it didn't remove the background. Is there anything that I missed?

I am using windows 7 and PS cs6.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

In Paths panel in PS, go to the menu in corner of it and choose Clipping Path. Then select the path you want (It's name becomes bold in Path panel). It can't be work path so you need to rename it first. Then you don't need anything in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in Photoshop :

Go to window -> path,  if  the path is named " work path "   double Click on it and click OK ( the work path will be converted to Path to be used inside InDesign).

when you place the file in indesign,  Go to  Object -> clipping path ->  Options  or  ( ctrl + alt + shift + K )

From Type: Select Photoshop Path  as shown in the image below , Hope this will help.

Photoshop Path.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion! I did and yes it worked but for the old JPG photos, I could skipped the whole indesign step. I didn't have to go to "Object -> clipping path ..." or do anything special in Indesign. Just "place". That's it. That's what confused me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Paths panel in PS, go to the menu in corner of it and choose Clipping Path. Then select the path you want (It's name becomes bold in Path panel). It can't be work path so you need to rename it first. Then you don't need anything in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's it!! Thanks a lot!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines