• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem exporting from DIN A4 PDF to EPUB

Contributor ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I really would need a bit of advice about how may I export a DIN A4 PDF document (a magazine) to EPUB. When I export it, I only get the cover perfectly exported. However, the text and the next pictures are floating everywhere without control. I would like all the pages maintain the original format of the PDF, and the original size of the PDF (Din A4).

Any recommendations about this?

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

No you don't want to rasterise everything. As mentioned, have a look at the course and it will explain the strengths and weaknesses of FXLePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is only possible to export as EPUB with fixed layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, but don't work. Even if I export it as fixed layout, I get the text floating everywhere and without control. Specially the pages that do not work well are those in which a picture is outside of the physical dimensions of the page, specially spreads. The only page working fine is the cover, because it is rasterized... however I only see well the pictures... the text fly away to the next pages...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have access to the original InDesign document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, yes I have access I can open it. Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign do you have?

Do you want to produce a FXL ePub or Reflowable Text ePub?

Is it a simply designed book (one column) or complex?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the latest one, Indesign CC 2017.

I want to produce a FXL ePub (Fixed Layout EPUB).

It is a very complex Indesign document. Exactly it is a magazine. To understand the complexity think in Newsweek, VOGUE or Time.

I want the exported EPUB show the page perfectly, maintaining the vertical DIN A4

I think I am having problems also in the spreads, because the pages have pictures which go beyond of the physical dimensions of the DIN A4, and that is creating a strange EPUB file, when you open it you see very weird things, text out of control, going to next pages and pictures floating everywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you take a Lynda.com online video course and come back here with specific questions:

Creating Fixed-Layout EPUBs with InDesign CC

You can get a 10-day feee trial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to maintain the same look in the EPUB as in the PDF without having to re-make all the design?

Perhaps rasterizing everything?

Thinking about having to remake everything gives me goosebumps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a sample of a few pages in .indd so we can test it? You can use Dropbox or similar and post the link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No you don't want to rasterise everything. As mentioned, have a look at the course and it will explain the strengths and weaknesses of FXLePub.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines