• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting to PDF font appearance

Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did a mock up for a catalog on illustrator and once i had something i like i started building it up in indesign. My problem came when i exported the file to PDF, the typography look super different. When i exported from illustrator this problem didn't happen. The catalog will be uploaded online and distributed as a PDF not as a printed book, so it is a big deal for me....I attached a screen-cap with the indesign PDF on the left and the illustrator PDF on the right side.

Any help or advice its welcome, i spent all day trying exporting options but non seem to work....tracing the text make it look fine but i loose the option of changing it which sux....

Thanks in advance and please forgive any miss spelling, english is not my mother language.

typography problem.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

I fixed it...it was the PDF preview....I'm not sure why it didn't have problem from illustrator and it did with indesign but well....

Here an image of where to change the acrobat PDF setting if other people have this problem.

Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks to everyone who tried to help

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you set up the styles in InDesign?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the font used in AI / ID?

It doesn't appear that the font has been embedded properly in the ID file and is substituted.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking that when you exported to PDF, you used a PDF Preset (located at the top of the dialog box) that did not embed the fonts. Try using High Quality Print or PDF-X/4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My tried both, "Interactive" and "Printing" ( "Printing" i used High Quality Print or PDF-X/4. but it made it even worse some no background images create a white outline they didn't have when exporting with "Interactive").

The font I used it is "century gothic".

When i zoom into the PDF 190-200% the typography kicks in, but it displays with jagged edges.

I attached an image with the .ind and pdf differences and how tracing look how it should.....

The ease way it's tracing the text, but make my job a lot more annoying and the file probably will get a lot heavier.

I'm not sure if the problem can come from the styles, i don't think i did anything out of the box, if you could be more specific about where could be the problem i will try changing stuff.

typography problem1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I fixed it...it was the PDF preview....I'm not sure why it didn't have problem from illustrator and it did with indesign but well....

Here an image of where to change the acrobat PDF setting if other people have this problem.

Untitled-2.jpg

Thanks to everyone who tried to help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines