• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Has "Convert to Editable Text" been removed from After Effects?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey,

I'm using CC 2017. Just starting to learn Ae and no matter what I try I cannot get the text from an Illustrator design into Ae as something editable. I've followed all the common instructions, I have:

-Separated the nested elements into their own layers (in Illustrator) 

-Exported this as a .psd in RGB with Text Editability preserved

When I import it into After Effects, it comes in as one psd file, not a compisition, and with no layers to reveal. If I select the file and click "layers", the "Convert to Editable Text" function does not appear. Not even greyed out. Help.

Thanks for any advice.

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Then it won't be editable in Ae too. "Convert   To editable text" is only for editable psd text layers.

about the merged file: in Ae if you want to import a multi-layered file as a composition then choose in the import dialog "Composition" and not "Footage".

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

open your PSD In photoshop - is the text editable? Also Make sure your psd is set to RGB and not CMYK - this could be the reason you are getting merged layers into one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.psd export is set to RGB but no. The text is not editable in photoshop...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then it won't be editable in Ae too. "Convert   To editable text" is only for editable psd text layers.

about the merged file: in Ae if you want to import a multi-layered file as a composition then choose in the import dialog "Composition" and not "Footage".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Layer > Create > Convert to editable text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2018 Jun 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like Roei said, if you want to convert to editable text you have to start in Photoshop. It won't work with illustrator files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Andrew - That's the correct answer for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2018 Sep 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I like that they organized some of the commands, but a few things definitely got hidden a little bit.
"Reveal Layer Source in Project" is one movement deeper than it used to be, which makes me sad on the regs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2023 Aug 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works for me. Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this. It just worked for me. www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GNt0Ux9kAk  Just be sure to save your Illustrator as RGB first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2024 Apr 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There is an extra step Layer - Create - Editable Text

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines