• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign (Constant Crashing) 2017 has become a head-on collision for my workflow.

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This CC2017 version of Indesign crashes fast and furiously. 2015 was so much more stable prior to the update. I have both 2017 & 2015 on the computer and since the update 2015 has become flaky as well. Seems to be related to placing .eps files, printing files, saving files. None of the prescribed fixes have worked. (I have tried everything, deinstall, reinstall, update font management, remove prefs, do this... do that. NADA. I really have no clue why the breakdown. I have used ID since inception and this has me bamboozled. I sure hope a bug fix version comes out soon this CC ( Constant Crashing) has rendered my workflow useless.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A bit off the main point, but do you have to use ancient-format .eps files? What happens if you decide to use .ai or .pdf files? Also, what about the possibility that the document has corruption? Have you tried exporting to .idml and reopening a fresh document by opening the .idml file?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Continuing on that line of reasoning:

EPS – the Zombie among file formats

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the comments. In regards to .eps, yes, I have res-saved as psd, pdf or ai. I did this mainly because the eps files were not displaying on ID. After the file format change the file displays properly, however I am not sure that is the only issue causing the crash issue. ( I have thousands of docs that use .eps image and logo files)

What have I done thus far, this morning in this order. We will see if it works.

1. Mac first aid (probably pointless)
  2. Clean fonts with Font doctor (new version)
  3. Update Suitcase (this was done yesterday)
  4. Allow incoming and outgoing traffic to Adobe prods via Norton Security
  5. Delete and rebuild ID prefs

One thing, and I know this may be a biggie is that I DO WORK ACROSS A NETWORK, it is unavoidable. CC2015 and most other versions allowed this Adobe NO-NO, typically without much issue, that is until the CC2017 update, so there, it could be that. Working with files and links all local is just so 1980's and is not much of a workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working with files and links all local is just so 1980's and is not much of a workflow.

Ha! That is funny!

IBM 3270.jpg

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having similar issues with corrupt text boxes. Used to happen once in a blue moon—corrupted documents were stories of legend. Dealing with this DAILY and it is costing me TIME and therefore MONEY. Ready to freak TF out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you reporting this to Adobe, ChevyK? Use the Bug Report radio button:

Wishform - Adobe InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I did so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi ChevyK/RCPDesign61,

Thanks for reporting the issue.

I need some help in isolating real issues here, for which i need some information:

• Earlier Version status: Is this issue was being observed in earlier version of InDesign.
  • Sample Document(Please attach a packaged document for analysis) You can upload your document on dropbox OR creative cloud for sharing.
  • Any Known steps(Step that led to slowness) Steps to reproduce the issue
  •   Video recording(If possible screen recording showing slowness )

Also, you may try to clean your preferences by renaming or deleting folder at following locations and re-try, if you still face the issue

MAC: "/Users/[USERNAME]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version [Number]/[Your Locale]/Workspaces/"
                Win: "C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign\Version [Number]\[Your Locale]\Workspaces\"

Eagerly waiting for your response.

Any help is really appreciated

Thanks

Monica Singh

Team InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Crash, crash, crash all day long!

Yes, when I try to print, Crash, then I reopen ID and can print (at least once).

This print crash is very predictable. I am printing to an Fiery with updated software to a Konica BizHub C454e. Never has the shape until the CC2017 update.

Notice required by law:

This email may constitute an advertisement or solicitation under

U.S. law. If you wish to opt out of receiving further email

messages from Applied Industrial Technologies, 3301 Euclid

Ave, Cleveland, Ohio 44115, Please click on this link to unsubscribe.

http://pages.exacttarget.com/page.aspx?QS=773ed3059447707d44c6d829c87bec3c53bb6286f6cc799af168efc294b698fb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica,

Can you help out with a problem? We have Indesign documents that we created months ago - in Indesign 2015. We try and open them in Indesign 2017 and Indesign immediately crashes. So, I went to the old Indesign 2015 application, opened them up, and resaved as an idml. I am then able to open up in Indesign 2017 and most of the documents have a few missing links. In one instance the missing links were no longer in the location that was showing up in the Links panel. Could this be the culprit? Instead of doing this work around I was wondering if there was something causing it that we can stop doing?? Any info is appreciated, thank you!

-Julie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi BRAmarket,

Instead of creating idml, package your document and then try opening idml from the packaged folder in InDesign CC 2017.

It should work.

Thanks,

Monica

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Monica! I have thrown those documents away. And emptied the trash. (cursed)

As soon as it happens again (and it will), I will attach the document. I have flagged this email. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ChevyK, have you experimented with exporting out to .idml and re-open the .idml file in order to (hopefully) rule out file corruption? Or have you done the usual thing?

Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried this, thanks. I found that tip in another thread somewhere... Didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens most frequently while trying to cut copy from one text box and paste it into another. CRASH CRASH CRASH. It has done this in a number of different documents, with and without image files, not using the same fonts, no drag and drop images, etc. Clean, happy little documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines