• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't select certain items

Enthusiast ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a semi-seasoned INDD user, but this has me stumped.

I have lines on a page that I can't select.

I have tried all these solutions:

• Override all master page items has no effect - still can't select the lines
  • The lines are present in the assigned master page and I can select them there
  • I checked layers - none are locked but one of the layers turns off the lines I can't select
    • None of the individual objects in the layers palette will turn the lines off
    • I can only turn off the layer visibility of the lines in question of the "parent" layer
  • No objects on the page are locked
  • If I create a new page and assign the same master, I can override master items on that new page and delete lines there

Any ideas on other things can affect the ability to select items on a page?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several screen shots, as Jeff ask for—including each Master with the Layers panel and the problem page with the layers panel.

Are you deleting the lines on one page or many pages? You might want to think about applying a child master based on the parent master that does not have the lines if you are doing it more than once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, Interesting thought Jane. I wonder if the lines are on a Master that's Based On another Master.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

That was my thought, too! We also need to see the Pages panel screen shot—I forgot to say that.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After more testing, here is more odd detail:

Here is the Master page screen shot with the pages and layers panels open. It is difficult to see, but the white horizontal lines are the ones in question.

After overriding master items, I can delete the light blue background and the white horizontal lines, but even after I do that, another set of the horizontal lines remain - but only on a left side page.

Here is a screen shot of a newly added spread, after overriding master items on both pages, then selecting all and deleting.  You can see that 4 horizontal lines on the left page remain  even though I selected and deleted the same 4 lines that were released from the master.  I can't even select the remaining lines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

just a guess...

unlocked.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We overlapped responses, Vinny, but that's my thought as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you repost that last screen shot again, this time with the HG layer open so we can see the contents (assuming that is where the lines are located)? Or just open all the layers with their white triangles on that spread.

Edit: recheck the layers panel on both spreads individually—C Innen and 14–15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same as you BarbBinder - I thought there was something hiding, but nothing at all in any of the layers. However, even though it appears empty, if I turn off the Linien_hinten layer, those horizontal lines disappear as seen in the second screenshot.

I should note that this document was originally produced by someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try targeting BOTH pages and then do an over-ride and delete. Your screen shot shows only the right page targeted.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Michael - did that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Preferences > General say about Object Editing? Prevent selection is on or off?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prevent Selection of Locked Objects was checked. I unchecked and that didn't change anything.  I have been able to select all other elements except those lines on every left hand page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you feel about posting the file on dropbox and sharing a link?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't explain this, but here is what worked:

In this screen shot, I'm on Page 2. I released all items from the master, then click on Line B and moved it down, exposing Line A.  I can delete line B, but can not even select Line A.

If I go to Master C and move that same corresponding line - we'll call it Line C. You can plainly see that there is only one line on the master in that position.

Then go back to Page 2 ... without touching anything - the "problem child" Line A from the first screen shot, is now gone:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shared with you in a message BarbBinder​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The lines are present in the assigned master page and I can select them there

When you select the MP item have you checked if it can be overridden on a page—Pages>Master Pages>Allow Master Item Overrides on Selection should be checked:

swatches.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post was marked with a correct answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Jive software which Adobe uses has this crazy default where it marks a thread "Assumed Answered". Ignore that, it's stupid software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the file via Dropbox or your cloud account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not comfortable sharing public, but I messaged you a link rob day​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There does seem to be a corruption in the file. On page 2 if I delete the rules (that appear to be overriden), I can then override the mp items underneath via command-shift click. But then when I delete the new overridden items there's always another MP copy underneath. This happens even when I make a new spread from the C master at the end of the document.

The problem does seem to have a relationship to CC2017, because if I save the file out as an IDML and open it into CC2014 there's no evidence of the problem.

In CC2017 if I delete the 4 rules on the left master page and then copy the rules on the right page over to the left, the problem goes away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a 2017 ghost.  I blame Julian Assange.

Thank you for your effort. I am behind on this, so I'll just use a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did Rob's idea work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines