Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I slow down a segment of a video in Captivate 9

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Trying to figure out how to slow down just a small section of a video in Captivate 9. It's a cpvc project.

I don't want to slow the entire video down. Just one segment.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

OK - that's good news! What you want to do is actually slow down the action on the screen - to allow the user to clearly see each step in a process, right?

Captivate can't stretch a video segment or slow it down. What you can do is create extra time between each action by inserting static screenshots into the cpvc timeline and splitting the video into segments. For example, see the screenshot below. extended video demo

All I did was take a shot of the video right where I split it and inserted the image into the time

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the purpose of slowing it down? Are you showing a screen shot of something and need more time to explain what is there?

(If the above is the reason to slow it down, take a shot of the screen, split the movie and insert the static image for as long as keep your narration in sync with what's happening on the screen.) If not - please explain a little more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a video demo of using some software. It’s not just a screenshot. I’d rather not re-record the video if I don’t have to do so.

The purpose of slowing it down is just to allow the viewer to see things better. Right now the video in this one section is just a little too fast.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a narration track embedded in your cpvc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no narration track yet. I was going to add one later.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - that's good news! What you want to do is actually slow down the action on the screen - to allow the user to clearly see each step in a process, right?

Captivate can't stretch a video segment or slow it down. What you can do is create extra time between each action by inserting static screenshots into the cpvc timeline and splitting the video into segments. For example, see the screenshot below. extended video demo

All I did was take a shot of the video right where I split it and inserted the image into the timeline. This extended the view of that moment for another three seconds (my decision - can be as long or short as necessary) and gave me time to add narrative or lay highlights or arrows pointing out the next steps that will be taken when the next section of the video begins. I've used this technique when faced with explaining complex dropdown menus or previewing a series of steps. It ends up looking seamless because you are taking a shot of the screen right where you cut it, so the video picks up exactly in the same place. the key is to make sure you put a full sized version of the image in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That will work! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No problem. if you want to get fancy you can overlap by a little on each end and have the image fade in and out - it allows you to have a little more wiggle room and can make it a bit smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources