• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Guides won't delete!

Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I know this sounds daft but i can't clear individual guides by simply dragging them into the ruler and they arent locked! is this a known issue?

Andy

TOPICS
Performance , Product issue

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Hi,

Seems that the guide is not getting deleted by drag-drop on to the ruler area if the scroll bar is not at its top/left most position. To workaround this problem, please zoom out to a level where the scroll bars disappear to delete a specific guide by drag drop onto the ruler area.

Hope that helps.

Thansk!
Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. This is a new "feature" for Flash CC. The guides now act like those in Illustrator rather than those in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dam you new feature! i'm still unable to remove them as they cannot be highlighted like in illustrator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes you have an "artboard" in top of another one,  move it and erase the wrong one. What you see is the grid from the artboard in the back... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2022 Nov 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, this is the animate forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2022 Dec 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THat was totally my issue with this. Thank you for that post! : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

Dragging out the unlocked guides into the ruler area should clear the guides.

Can you please clear your application preferences once and see if that helps?

To Delete preferences: hold down Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys [on Windows] / Cmd+Shift+Option keys [on Mac] while launching the application.

If it doesnt help, then can you please post your OS details.

Thanks!
Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleting the preferences did not work.

Mac Pro OS X, 10.8.4, 14 GB DDR2 ram.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rob,

1. Are you able to select/move the guide?

2. Does Clear Guides works? (View>Guides>Clear Guides)

Thanks!
Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. i've deleted the preferences and still cant delete the guides. I can however clear all guides at ones using the menu command and move them. os as follows:

win7 64bit

creative cloud version of app

note: when prompted i selected sync settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Seems that the guide is not getting deleted by drag-drop on to the ruler area if the scroll bar is not at its top/left most position. To workaround this problem, please zoom out to a level where the scroll bars disappear to delete a specific guide by drag drop onto the ruler area.

Hope that helps.

Thansk!
Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should this be reported as a bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can use https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform to report the issue.

Thanks!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mohan, i have now reported this. Lets hope this is fixed in the next update of CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks panvulcon!

Can you mark the post as Answered if you think you got an answer so that it will help people in the forum to find the solution/workarunds much easier.

Thansk!

Mohan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 15, 2014 Nov 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

click on the guide and hit delete key...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Argh!! It's 2015 and I'm having the same problem!! Multiple guides in my file, and all deleted just fine except two, which won't delete at all. I tried every suggestion in this forum? Has anyone gotten an answer to this??

Mac OS 10.9.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 11, 2015 Mar 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ha ha, nevermind, the guides were on a locked layer, WOOPS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2015 Apr 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't see anyone mention 'master pages' but I hunted around trying to solve my "guide won't delete" issue until I realized the guide was on my master page and it@ had to be deleted there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Layer is not locked, not on a master page. Using Lynda.com instructions to delete guide, and it does not delete.

Clear guides does work, but what if I don't want to delete them all?

This must be a bug. Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The technique is easier than Mohan was describing. No need to drag to the ruler. Click and drag on a guide and move the cursor outside of the pasteboard area. That can be into the rulers, into the timeline, really anywhere outside of that part of the window. You don't have to drag vertical guides left and right, or horizontal guides up and down. For example, to delete a vertical guide you can click and drag on it just above the timeline area (if the timeline is at the bottom), and drag down into the timeline. The guide will go away. This works even if the ruler isn't showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 27, 2015 Aug 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two type of guide in indesign.

First one is, as generally used, just GUIDE. This guide is created in the Layout > Create guides, and so on....

Second one is, I think this may be the main reason of many questions which saying "cann't delete guide!", DOCUMENT COLUMN GUIDE. This guide is created when you first initialize your document or you can setup this in the Layout > margin and columns. The minimum value is 1, because the whole page itself is a column.

So, when you struck in problem with guides, please check the document column guide number. If you wanna make your page clear, setup that value as 1.

JFYI, when you go to the View > Grid & Guides, there are two guide view options. "Lock guides" and "Lock column guides"  As I already mentioned, this lock options is for the each type of guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2016 Jan 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was having the same problem and land on this page. I know that I can clear the guides, but it is not what I want. I want to erase just one guide. Reading to the answers here I saw the word lock and tried with that. On View, scrolled down until "unlock guides". Then I was able to erase the one guide I wanted to erase. Then I went back and lock the guides again. This definitely solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2016 Feb 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must go to View>Guides>Lock Guides

By deselecting Lock Guides you can delete them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The guide is applied on a layer, so you can delete a guide by deleting the layer.

Hope that helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines