Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask, not getting preview with any brushes — OSX

Explorer ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Mac Pro 6,1 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5, 64 GB RAM

with dual AMD FirePro D700  video cards driving two 30 in Apple Cinema Displays.

PS CC 2017.0.1

All PS performance-> advanced video card options checked.

In the Select and Mask feature, other than the selection brush, I am not getting any previews when brushing with the refine or brush tools. On the refine, I get no visual feedback that I am painting, and do not see results until I release the brush. In the paint brush mode, I don't see the "paint" lay down as you do in quick mask mode until I release the brush. I can work fine with this, but my co-worker's works fine. All I can see is the radius of the brush and the center mark while "painting". I still can see the "red" brush as I increase or decrease the brush size.

Any suggestions?

I initially disliked the interface until I understood it's power and usefulness and now love it. It has vastly increased my workflow.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that is obviously errant behaviour.  What have you tried?  Restarting the computer? Reset Tools?  Rest Preferences? 

Cursor issues are often related to GPU and drivers, so try disabling GPU acceleration and with different settings for Drawing mode etc. Is your co-worker using similar hardware with the same driver versions?  Are you both using Sierra?

Are you using a tablet?  If  yes, is it the same with mouse and tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for asking the questions I tried to answer beforehand.

Yes, Same tablets on both (same result, mouse or tablet) Sierra on both, similar hardware and drivers. Tried restarting, turning on additional GPU acceleration options.

I just I turned off GPU acceleration and there was no change. But when I turned it back on, The issue seemed to resolve itself.

Initially, when entering Select and Mask, Onion skin was working with a live preview, but any subsequent mask view did not. Now brush preview is functioning in all mask options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried it again and the preview again stopped working after changing from Onion Skin to a different mask type

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to begin seeing live brush previews in any mask mode in all three brush modes, select, refine and paint. Changing brush modes doesn't affect previewability. BUT after a certain amount of brushing with preview working, the preview stops working.

Now I can confirm that after about 15 seconds of painting, the preview stops working. Or if I draw 10-12 brush strokes, the preview stops working. Maybe a cache issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you GPU is struggling - have you tried turning off High Quality Preview to see if that has an effect ?

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you and your college have the same plug-ins?  Try starting PS while holding down the Shift key.

How do you have cursors set in Preferences?  That makes a difference to Select & Mask

Standard

Normal

Full size (Same as normal)

Did you try resetting All Tools, and if that failed Preferences?  Resetting tools is no hardship, and usually reset All tools when I need to, but I hate resetting Preferences, and would understand anyone wanting to make it a last resort.

You appear to have seen a change related to GPU acceleration, and that was my first thought as always with cursor issues.  Have you tried turning off OpenCL, and different Drawing modes (Basic, Normal, Advanced)?  Please note that I am not a Mac user, and am not familiar with PS GPU settings with PS.

http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/2012/07/photoshop-basic-troubleshooting-steps-to-fix-most-issues.h...

I added 'OSX' to your subject line after my last post.  This usually attracts the right people to the thread.  I posted as much to get things started as in any hope of fixing things for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Trevor,

I do not have high quality preview selected. I use normal cursors. I get the same results with any setting of Graphics acceleration, including disabling it entirely. Seems like the size of the file is an issue for me, 63mb file is where I get the issue, smaller ones can paint for quite a long time. However, my coworker with a similar setup is not affected with a 63 mb file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have exhausted all options. I have restarted with no other apps open. No matter how GPU settings are set up or disabled, I can only get a preview for so long before it ceases preview, but does "catch up" once I let go of the mouse or pen. From that point on, everything functions normally, but without live preview, and with a "catch up" upon release. Curiously, if I undo after preview hang, I can reproduce the same amount of preview before it ceases. It acts like a memory leak or a overfull cache. Occasionally, after a series of undos and redos, the preview works for an entire session. If I accept it and try again, the preview ceases as it previously did. I can't reproduce the circumstances where preview works. If I use a small paint brush in the black and white mode, and I draw a continuous line, it gradually lags more and more before stopping entirely. If I continue the brush stroke, it does "catch up" after release. Smaller files take longer to preview fail, and very large ones (500MB) give no preview at all, but after a great deal of waiting, it will "catch up"

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines