• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where is there a list of InDesign Event types?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am extremely frustrated trying to find a list of the event type names that I can use in creating an event handler for a dialog object. Where is it hidden?

For example, I want to write a line like the following, which does work if I define a dialog not using the with hierarchy (which is used in all the Adobe-provided examples)

dialogEventListener = myDialog.addEventListener('click',clickTest)

I cannot figure out how to get something like this working when I define the dialog using the with hierarchy, when I get an error message that "click" is not an event type. So I need to find the list of event types that do work in this context. I have found references to the JavaScript Tools Guide, but there's nothing in there that lists event types.

Thanks,

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Here are some (all?) ScriptUI events we have discovered so far:

Event Type (string)Handler Alias (if any)Target Widget(s)
—onDrawany [not an ‘actual’ event though, see documentation on DrawState object.]
moveonMoveWindow
movingonMovingWindow
resizeonResizeWindow
resizingonResizingWindow
showonShowWindow
closeonCloseWindow
focusonActivate (Window only)various (Window, EditText, Button…)
bluronDeactivate (Window only)various (Window, EditText, Button…)
changeonChangevarious (EditText, Slider, Scrollbar, List

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are some (all?) ScriptUI events we have discovered so far:

Event Type (string)Handler Alias (if any)Target Widget(s)
—onDrawany [not an ‘actual’ event though, see documentation on DrawState object.]
moveonMoveWindow
movingonMovingWindow
resizeonResizeWindow
resizingonResizingWindow
showonShowWindow
closeonCloseWindow
focusonActivate (Window only)various (Window, EditText, Button…)
bluronDeactivate (Window only)various (Window, EditText, Button…)
changeonChangevarious (EditText, Slider, Scrollbar, ListBox…)
changingonChangingEditText, Scrollbar, Slider
clickonClickButton, IconButton, Checkbox, RadioButton (maybe others)
—onDoubleClickListBox
mousedown—any
mouseup—any
mousemove—any
mouseover—any
mouseout—any
enterKeyonEnterKeyEditText
keyup—EditText (maybe others)
keydown—EditText (maybe others)
—onShortcutKey (Windows OS only)Window
—onCollapseTreeView
—onExpandTreeView
—onSelect (?)(Need more detail on this one…)
—onDisplay (?)(Need more detail on this one…)

Note 1. — Event types (strings) involve addEventListener and then an actual event handler of your own that will (assumedly) behave as detailed in ECMA DOM Level-3 events, despite pitfalls and cross-platform issues. By contrast, the onXYZ aliases only partially capture the underlying events and shouldn't be considered equivalent to pure event handlers. There are many things you can only do using event listeners.

Note 2. — Many great examples and additional info are exposed in ScriptUI For Dummies by Peter Kahrel: ScriptUI for dummies | Peter Kahrel

@+

Marc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for your table. I can contribute to the table in that I found that (1) click also works on groups and panels and (2) change does work on dropdowns. These work when the window stuff is created and structured in the style of Kahrel (which I had found earlier), but they don't work when you use the windows creation approach that is used in the  JavaScript Tools Guide, which is based on nested with clauses. Under that approach, it seems that you can't provide an interactive user experience, because you can't change the window's appearance in response to clicks. I had been trying to have things change in response to changes of selections in dropdown lists, which didn't work out. I do know that I can rework my window using the other approach, which involves more typing, as I noted in another thread here. A couple of years ago I finished a complicated Photoshop script under which the dialog box changed in response to dropdown selections, but the environment in Photoshop is not carried over to InDesign.

In the Photoshop environment you can respond to clicks on dropdown lists, but apparently not in InDesign. Earlier today I found that I can work around the lack (in InDesign) of a click response for the dropdown, simply by putting a click response on the group that includes the dropdown - but the user does have to click next to the dropdown, not directly on top of it. And just now, writing this response, I tried change with the dropdown and it did activate the event handler, as I added under (2) above. So that's my solution after I rewrite my complex window specification -- lots more typing but it gives the user a better experience!

So I guess I have to continue reworking the dialog specification so I can include some click responses... Tedious!

I think your answer is not complete (as if there is such out there!), but I'll give you credit for a correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines