Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Hand tool remains selected in several menu's

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since a week the hand tool in PS CC remains selected when I am opening an image in the Camera Raw menu or in the Liquify menu. If I select another tool in these menu's the hand tool remains selected. I am also using a Bamboo Fun CTH-661 mouse pen. The hand tool could be selected by pushing the lower button on the mouse pen if I zoomed in on an image. Also that doesn't work anymore.

I already tried several solutions, like;

- Reset Preferences On Quit within the Photoshop Preferences menu. Does work for a couple of minutes and then it remains selected again.

- A sticky keyboard/spacebar is not the case. Tried two other keyboards.

- My iMac is just 2 months old: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). Working on Sierra.

- PS CC is also updated.

- I don't think it's the Bamboo mouse pen, because without and only the regular mouse, the problem stays the same.

Yesterday I was in contact with Adobe Chat and the employee took over my computer with Adobe Remote Support. I showed him some examples on the screen. He tried some things, but had no solution at that moment. He told me to call me back by today, but I haven't had any call yet.

This problem is really annoying. Unfortunately I can't find anything on the community. I hope the Adobe employee is calling me back, but perhaps someone else knows a solution for this issue?

Really appreciated!

Thanks!

Below one example from the Camera Raw, while the white balance tool is selected and the hand tool remains there.

IMG_5947.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

I have had the same issues, I found a work around untill Wacom or whomever sorts this out. I restart my computer with out my Wacom Intous 4 plugged in, then opened photoshop. Once PS is open I can plug the Wacom back in and Im good togo. Haven't had time to try all variables like only restarting PS not whole computer etc. I am running El Capitan and PS CC2017.0.1 BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2017 Jan 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply and the links. Perhaps it's is an issue with OS Sierra on my iMac. I can try to reinstall my computer and try El Capitan again, but despite trying this, Photoshop should actually be working fine in Sierra too, as far as I can assume. Perhaps I should wait for an update of PS. Or did I understand the explanations from these links wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had the same issues, I found a work around untill Wacom or whomever sorts this out. I restart my computer with out my Wacom Intous 4 plugged in, then opened photoshop. Once PS is open I can plug the Wacom back in and Im good togo. Haven't had time to try all variables like only restarting PS not whole computer etc. I am running El Capitan and PS CC2017.0.1 BTW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GBP Creative wrote:

Thanks for the feedback.  So it is not purely Sierra related, but has an element of Wacom driver as well — just to complicate things.   I've a mind to mark your answer as correct, but it would be useful if someone else with the issue can test and see if it works for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your contributions. Yesterday I have been in contact with a service employee from Adobe on the phone. She took over my computer again and as far as we could discover it's due to the Wacom Bamboo Fun mousepen which I use. All drivers are up to date, but despite that, the problem remains with the hand tool.

Actually this only occurs when I am zooming in on an image in the normal PS screen and then trying with the lower mousebutton to select the hand tool. The hand tool is not working with the lower mousebutton. If I load this photo after doing this in the liquify menu or if I open a new RAW image the hand tool remains selected in these menu's.

After disableing the Bamboo mousenpen and restarting my iMac and start up PS again, by only using the normal Apple mouse, there's no problem at all. Therefore we came to the solution it should be the Wacom Bamboo that causes this problem. I emailed Wacom and I am waiting for their reply.

But as soon as I am back home, I will give it a try to plugin the Bamboo after starting up PS. I don't think this will help, but I will give it a try, thanks for the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 21, 2017 Jan 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update? I am having the same issue. Photoshop CC. Sierra. Mac Pro SSD. Wacom Bamoo Tablet. It's super frustrating as I use liquify every day working in fashion. Tried uninstalling reinstalling tablet. Updated the driver. Even uninstalled and reinstalled photoshop wiping out all my preferences, brushes, actions, etc. All to see the same problem persist. Pretty maddening. Hope to see a fix soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2017 Jan 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have any update yet. I am in contact with Wacom, but they can't fix the problem too. They gave me some workarounds and instructions to install new or other drivers, but that doesn't work. The forward my ticket to the European Wacom helpdesk.

The hand tool doesn't work when I zoom in on an image in PS and after trying that, the hand tool remains selected in menu's like Camera Raw and Liquify. After restarting my computer I can use the other tools in those submenu's again, but I have to be aware of not using the hand tool for scrolling when zooming in on an image. I still think it's something with OS Sierra and the Wacom tablet (driver).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 25, 2017 Jan 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Wacom gave me a solution with this hand tool error which remains selected in Photoshop. It took a while but it works. You should simply download an older driver:

Step 1: Before uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers please make sure that your tablet USB cable and Wacom wireless receiver are disconnected from your computer.

Step 2: Uninstall the Pen Tablet Driver

Step 3: Restart your computer.

Step 4: Install an older version of the Pen Tablet Driver. For me version 5.3.6-6 worked.

Step 5: Connected the Tablet again and Restart

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me is not working because the version 5.3.6-6 do not work on Sierra 10.12.3.

I found another possible solution with my Wacom Bamboo Fun (hope could help other people):

* install the driver (I installed 5.3.7-6 that work on Sierra 10.12.3)

* open the tablet preferences and change the click of the lower button with "modificator" (I don't know exactly because I have it in italian language) and associate CTRL+ALT instead of the default scrolling feature

* close the tablet preferences

* open photoshop camera raw -> the brush feature now works correctly, it you click the lower button it will switch to the delete brush

Hope it could help others.

Bye

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 07, 2017 Feb 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You, Sir, are onto something!!! I was actually struggling through an edit today and I swear the minute I touched that button accidentally, the hand was back...

So I tried changing the lower button (default = scroll) to something/anything else.  I went with option (ALT) since Wacom in their infinite wisdom has a useless driver that won't allow me to use any of the modifier keys in the "keystroke" option...(just one at a time through the "modifier" menu - I really wanted to have step back and the brush controls (control/alt) in there, but no...can't have that ) But I digress.

SO FAR SO GOOD!!!

I will report back after a few hundred repetitions (so a couple of days-ish), but it looks promising.

Kind of sad that the Adobe forum is a lot more useful for solving Wacom issues than their own client care or "forum"... This was the first and will be the last Wacom product I purchase based on my experience with their customer support (ie being completely ignored).  I almost resent the stupid thing for how well it works and how quickly I got used to it, the improvements it made to my work flow and speed... Again, I digress.

Thank you for all the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 01, 2017 Feb 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am using CS6 on a MacBook Pro (circa 2011) with Sierra 10.12.2 (and now 10.12.3 although I doubt this affects this issue).

I am a bit of a "if it aint broke" kind of guy... but many friends and colleagues swore by the various wacom tablets, and with a rush of jobs the past two weeks I decided to try one, see if it helps me work more easily/quickly/efficiently/enjoyably.  Found a perfect in box Bamboo CTH-470.  Wanted to spend as little money as possible in case I just couldn't work with it - an opinion I have heard expressed by a few people, so lets call it proof of concept, see if I like it/can get used to it.

And then it all started:  the driver included with the item did not work (could not launch preferences pane).  Obtained latest driver from WACOM site - kind of worked (issues outside the scope of this discussion) - and I went to edit an image in Adobe Camera Raw - hand tool.  Rebooted, someone said do it with tablet unplugged - and ok, I was able to quickly edit one photo, open in PS, finish my edits, etc.

Cool - lets try another one.

Nope.  HAND TOOL.

I can't afford to waste time rebooting my computer after every edit.

Tried older drivers - installation failed every time.  The only one that would work is the latest one for my tablet.  If anyone knows an older driver that works with my system specs and this tablet, please let me know.

Verified - that at least in my case - this is strictly tied to the WACOM product and its drivers - no Wacom, no Issue.  None before (for YEARS) and none after removing driver and unplugging tablet.

Contacted Wacom client care.  We shall see, this is my first encounter with this company, have no clue what to expect. If its of any use to any of you guys, I will happily report what they said.

Definitely NOT an Adobe or Photoshop issues, at least in my case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Exact same issue here. Same specs, on a Mac Pro and have the CTH-470. I'm sorry to say I haven't found any solutions either. Hopefully they release an updated driver soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 02, 2017 Feb 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today it actually took a turn, for the first time it actually got stuck mid edit. I was using the cursor drag shortcut to adjust brush size/hardness...not sure I relevant here or just coincidence. When I have some time I will try to reproduce this behaviour and see which it is.

Very frustrating, I feel your pain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines