• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why underlines and boxes are moving when adding or deleting text ?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I have a problem with changing the text in  brochure file. Every time i  add some text or delete some  the headline underlines copy automatically and everything is moving. I would like to choose what items are moving and no automatic copying. Also when i delete the headline underline then when  using  Enter key then this lines appear again which each time i use key Enter.

Help please?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

the underlines still copy automatically with each ENTER

Here's why:

Formatting assigned to a paragraph is automatically copied to the next paragraph when you press Enter/Return. In the example below note the format of the first paragraph.

InDesign CCss_004.png

When I press Enter, the formatting is automatically assigned to the next paragraph.InDesign CCss_005.png

So select the next paragraph and turn off the underlining. InDesign CCss_006.png

Alternatively, what you are calling underlining might be a paragraph rule.

InDesign CCss_007.png

In that case, open the Control Panel menu on t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess that you might have some stray character or paragraph styles try resetting all of these by selecting all text first then choosing [basic paragraph] and [none] on appropriate style menu. Also make sure you clear overrides. Let me know if that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks a lot, it helped me at least that much that I managed to delete underlines which I couldnt before because  they were sort of automatically WITH title already. Now I just make underlines to titles when my brochure is 100% correctly designed so I just add them as a last thing. But even if I add them as a last thing then alreday check if i enter up or down my text the underlines still copy automatically with each ENTER so thats why I must add them as last thing not to move any text or boxes anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you can send me the InDesign file you are using so I can try to understand the problem better?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

the underlines still copy automatically with each ENTER

Here's why:

Formatting assigned to a paragraph is automatically copied to the next paragraph when you press Enter/Return. In the example below note the format of the first paragraph.

InDesign CCss_004.png

When I press Enter, the formatting is automatically assigned to the next paragraph.InDesign CCss_005.png

So select the next paragraph and turn off the underlining. InDesign CCss_006.png

Alternatively, what you are calling underlining might be a paragraph rule.

InDesign CCss_007.png

In that case, open the Control Panel menu on the far right side of your screen > Paragraph Rules. Disable Rule On for Rule Above or Rule Below (or both)InDesign CCss_008.png

This is all very manual. The best way to work is to set up Paragraph styles to automate the formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines