• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you change the default tab in a chm file

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2008 Aug 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to make the 'Contents' tab the default in my chm file (the default is currently the 'Index' tab).

I can't locate the dialog which allows you to make this change (though I remember coming across it at some point).

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure there is a setting. It is usually stored in the user's hh.dat file in order to open how they last left it. If there is a way to override it, I don't know of it.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a Default Tab option in the Window Properties for each window you have defined. (in RH6. I assume there is something similar in RH7?)

I believe John is correct and the default really only applies for the first time the help file is opened and after that it's whatever you user accessed last.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 06, 2008 Aug 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amebr is right if you are producing Webhelp - you can define this in your single source layout properties - but with CHMs there is no "default tab" option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quote:

Originally posted by: Colum McAndrew
Amebr is right if you are producing Webhelp - you can define this in your single source layout properties - but with CHMs there is no "default tab" option.

Hmm, that's strange, because I'm looking at a project that has only ever been compiled as CHM and there is a "Default Tab" option in the Window Properties (HTML Help) dialog box. I think you're talking about the SSL and indeed there is no default option there for chm files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any possibility of adding a bit of javascript to the default page to force the Contents tab?

--- Derek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Derek,

> Is there any possibility of adding a bit of javascript to the default page
> to force the Contents tab?

I'm afraid not, as any script operates within the boundaries of the topic pane only, and not on the viewer as a whole.

The best that you can do, assuming that the help file is called programmatically from an application, is to use the HTML Help API command HH_DISPLAY_TOC to select the Contents tab in the navigation pane. See:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms670083(VS.85).aspx

Otherwise, the most recently-used tab is always at the front when the user opens the help file.

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe but I'm wondering if this would overwrite the HH.DAT file or the other way around. Worth testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 07, 2008 Aug 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Amebr.

You don't see these options on the window properties if your project was originally a Microsoft HTML Help project. The window properties are taken from the default SSL so your project must have been a WebHelp project initally and then the default SSL changed. This will retain the window properties of the Webhelp output. If you were to create a new window in your project now, the properties would be different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp