• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I need to upgrade my computer...any suggestions?

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DELL Windows 7 64-bit

System Model: Precision Work Station T7500

Processor: Intel(R) Xeon(R)CPU e5607 @ 2.27GHz (8 CRPs)

Memory: 12288MB RAM

Two 2TB hard drives in the computer, and I have a NVIDIA Quadro 4000 graphic card

I use both Premiere Pro and After Effects CC 2017 for all my videos. I was told that my CPU and GPU were slow to today's standards.

What parts would I need to upgrade where I am now?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you looking to upgrades certain parts of your computer or just a whole new system? If you are looking for just specific parts I would say your GPU first, as you can tell premiere to use your GPU for rendering purposes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work for a corporation and they buy the equipment, If a band new computer is what I need I would have to let them know what type of computer and specs to look for. I know about the GTX 1080 graphic card and how that its the best card on the market, but I need to let my superiors know what all they need to look for in a computer so they can buy the right one for video editing. What's a good brand? Whats a good processor? What specs would they need to look for, that's my question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well personally I prefer to do custom PC's as they are just cheaper in the long run. But as your corporation would buy it for you then a prebuilt workstation is probably the best bet. For video editing I would recommend an SSD for an internal hard drive, allows premiere to read and write files a lot faster. For a processor an I7 or Xeon both work great for editing, I7's have been out performing Xeon's recently,  but if this machine is solely for editing I would go with a Xeon processor,  but if you plan to do other just work things then I would go with an I7. Minimum of 16gb of ram, more never hurts but anything less and performance might suffer. For the GPU go with an NVIDIA card, a 1080 would do you more than well but they are also pretty pricey. I would say though for whatever GPU you get make sure it has at least 4gb dedicated memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And you will need a big power supply, but if its a prebuilt machine the manufacturer will put a PSU that will power everything, but shoot for 1000w or more, don't settle for less

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Why don't you check with Dell and see if that unit can be upgraded to something like a LGA 1366 CPU like an i7-980x with 6 cores and hyperthreading.. Unfortunately the motherboard is a PCIe 2.0 older generation which only has SATA ii 3Gbits/second disk interfaces so the only hope is a complete new unit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines