Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Select and Mask issues with refine edge brush

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Yesterday i struggled for an hour trying to use the new select and mask tool, specifically the combination of smart radius and refine edge tool. When I have the 'plus' selected and try to "add" more areas in the selection, it was instead "removing" areas from the selection. I never had this issue with the refine edge tool. It worked like a charm. Please advise.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Hello,

we don't really know for sure when Adobe put Refine Edge back into Photoshop as it wasn't exactly well publicised and so it is possible CC2015.5 doesn't have it. CC2015.5.1 most definitely does have it though. You need to check exactly what Photoshop version you have by going to the Help menu and clicking on 'System Info'

1.png

A dialog will appear. The top line gives your Photoshop version

2.png

In this case it is

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2015.5.1 20160722.r.156 2016/07/22:23:00:00 CL 1083377  x64

If tha

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kushalb62902501 ,
first of all can you please check if you have the "+" sign active and the "sample all layers" inactive? Furthermore can you please check if any of your modification keys (alt or ctrl) are working correctly and are not "stucked"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only thing which I believe I didn't uncheck was the "sample all layers". Do you think that could be the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having problems with Select and Mask you can still use Refine Edge

A Nice video showing the use of Refine Edge with the Clone Stamp tool

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not seeing any refine edge tool. I am using CC 2015.5 and following the above video, when I hold the "shift" key and choose "select and mask" from the select menu drop down, it still opens the "select and mask" tool and not the old "refine edge" tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

we don't really know for sure when Adobe put Refine Edge back into Photoshop as it wasn't exactly well publicised and so it is possible CC2015.5 doesn't have it. CC2015.5.1 most definitely does have it though. You need to check exactly what Photoshop version you have by going to the Help menu and clicking on 'System Info'

1.png

A dialog will appear. The top line gives your Photoshop version

2.png

In this case it is

Adobe Photoshop Version: 2015.5.1 20160722.r.156 2016/07/22:23:00:00 CL 1083377  x64

If that is not your version use the desktop app to update or in Photoshop under Help click on the 'Update' option. It is well worth having the update as there were quite a few bugs in earlier versions of CC2015

Once you are sure you have the final version of CC2015.5.1 you might like to look at my posting from October last year

Refine Edge has Returned

You may like to consider moving to CC2017 as it also contains Refine Edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines