Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting layer/scene is not removing it completely

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I received a pre-made movie with around 20 layers/scenes in it. I wanted to delete a layer/scene/slide (don't know exact name to use, will use layer) or two but when I delete this layer lets say layer 13 (the orange one) from the screenshot you will normally get a 'gap' between 12 and 14. When I then move slide(scene) 14 towards slide(scene) 12 to close the gap, I still see an empty blank field when i play the movie (because I deleted all content of 13 and removed 13 completely it is blank but not completely gone it seems).

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 15.28.23.png

So it now moves from slide 12 to 14 but with still the 3 seconds from slide 13 (but blank) in between. What am I doing wrong?

I just want to remove certain slides, and move the next one to the previous one with a few seconds of nothing...

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 15.37.18.png

Please see attachment for more clarity. In the last screenshot you can see that the scene 13 has been removed and moved scene 14 to scene 12 but still scene 13 starts (but empty).

I have downloaded the latest version of Ae today

Thanks in advance,

Nils

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

but I cannot adjust anything in here which makes sense.. at least I don't know what I should change in here.

this is all by guessing here but you should highlight the camera layer and press U once. you will probably see keyframes. this is the camera moving from place to place showing the different precomp.

or - I see now the camera is parented to layer number 2

so do the same- unlock, highlight and press U. you will now have to adjust the keyframes to set your animation according to what you want.

i

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I then move slide(scene) 14 towards slide(scene) 12 to close the gap, I still see an empty blank field when i play the movie (because I deleted all content of 13 and removed 13 completely it is blank but not completely gone it seems). I still see an empty blank field when i play the movie (because I deleted all content of 13 and removed 13 completely it is blank but not completely gone it seems).

1. it could be that the the previous preview is saved in memory and you need to purge it. (also called purging cache).

so try this: edit->purge->all. now check again.

2. it's hard to tell what exactly you have in this setup because these are all precomps and we can't see what's inside, maybe there's a layer that's not visible or something. and you got this switch on too.

click it and you will see more layers probably. you should carefully examine your setup to see why is there a gap and share more screenshots. if you have a composition inside another composition and changes may be required more in one composition.

3. you can also upload your project so we may take a closer look inside and see what is wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,

Thanks for the quick respons. I have done both but still have the same issue. Although when clicking on that button it shows me indeed some more layers. Here are some of the things that then showed up. Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 19.49.18.png

The white screen in the second screenshot explains why there is a white screen if there is no layer.. (should still see how to get this shorter or stop there), but as you can also see in that screenshot is that although I have removed scene 7 and moved 8 to scene 6 it shows me a white screen (because I removed scene 7)

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 19.53.21.png

and scene 8 simply starts when it would also start in the first place after a few seconds (after scene 7 is gone so to say). Then you see that scene 8 is starting. So below screen should start immediately after scene 6 and not with the white screen afterwards..

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 19.53.35.png

Thanks in advance!

Nils

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the problem is that the animation is not driven from what's inside these layers but from the camera

unlock the camera layer and highlight it. now press U and you will see keyframes - you will need to adjust those accordingly to make your animation shorter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are partly correct, because when I click on the 'eye' it shows nothing for all the images. So it definitely does something, but I cannot adjust anything in here which makes sense.. at least I don't know what I should change in here.

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 20.59.46.png

Schermafbeelding 2017-01-06 om 21.01.29.png

Or should i adjust something in here or perhaps in the other layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but I cannot adjust anything in here which makes sense.. at least I don't know what I should change in here.

this is all by guessing here but you should highlight the camera layer and press U once. you will probably see keyframes. this is the camera moving from place to place showing the different precomp.

or - I see now the camera is parented to layer number 2

so do the same- unlock, highlight and press U. you will now have to adjust the keyframes to set your animation according to what you want.

it is painfully obvious you are very new to this software. this is obviously a setup that could be complex in so many ways we can't really help guide you step by step how to fix because we don't have it in front of us and because of your very basic to none skills in the software. if all else fails, you can always use the default template the way you got it and render it as is, and use an editing software to cut the parts you don't need. this software is complex and not intuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Roei,

That is correct, I not have no skills on this software. But you already helped me a lot. I will try some of the options that you said, as I see that in layer number two I can indeed move the bullets.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great! bullets=keyframes! when this is over - you should start here: After Effects tutorials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Once I have competed this task, I will.

I think I will figure it out now with thanks to your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines