• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whats the best computer for running Premier the most quickly/efficiently?

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm a professional editor that is long overdue for a computer upgrade. I've been editing with Premier over a year on my MacBook Pro, and I plan to continue using it for the next few years while I continue to work freelance.

I have around a few thousand to spend on a new editing bay, and I'm wondering what aspects of a computer would be worth spending that kind of money. For example, how would a 2009 27" iMac with 32GB RAM and a 3TB Fusion Drive compare to a 2015 27" iMac with 5K 16GB RAM and 1TB Fusion Drive?

The above question is just an example. I really am hoping to find out what aspects of a computer (specifically for using Premier) will be best for me to spend that kind of money. I don't want to waste money in areas that aren't as needed. Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

the cpu will be most important, but a balanced editing system will have a decent video card, plenty of memory, and fast storage drives. a 2015 imac will have a much faster cpu, a 4 core i7, vs older imac's with 2 cores. a 4 core cpu is good for HD/1080p timelines/media and possibly very light 4k, but for more heavy HD/1080p work a new 6 core will be even faster, and 8 core for 4k... a 2013 mac pro does have 6-12 core cpu's, but they are older and somewhat slower. so the mac pro 6 core may actual

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the cpu will be most important, but a balanced editing system will have a decent video card, plenty of memory, and fast storage drives. a 2015 imac will have a much faster cpu, a 4 core i7, vs older imac's with 2 cores. a 4 core cpu is good for HD/1080p timelines/media and possibly very light 4k, but for more heavy HD/1080p work a new 6 core will be even faster, and 8 core for 4k... a 2013 mac pro does have 6-12 core cpu's, but they are older and somewhat slower. so the mac pro 6 core may actually be similar in speed to the new imac 4 core i7. more memory will be needed for 4k as well as a faster gpu with more vram. only a windows pc would allow for newer/faster cpu's.

side note, its suggested the imac lineup is due for a refresh, as well as the mac pro. many folks think the mac pro will be discontinued and apple will only offer the imac. that theory may have some traction if apple switches from intel to the new 4-8 core cpu's coming from amd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is super helpful! Thanks a ton.

I'm going to be getting a c100 mark ii as well for work, and it doesn't shoot 4k. In the near future, however, I imagine I'll be editing 4k. It'd be great to keep the same computer setup for as long as possible. That being said, you'd recommend I find a Mac computer that is an 8 core or higher if I want to edit 4k in the future?

Also, I'm not sure I follow your side note. Are you thinking I should potentially hold out till new iMac's come out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have a hard time recommending the mac pro since its older tech, but if you wanted a mac for 4k it would be a better option vs imac. premiere has some issues with using high core counts, in some situations it can become a problem as early as 4-6 cores. so its recommended to favor high core speeds vs high core count, like 6-8 fast cores (new pc) vs 8-12 slow cores (old mac pro).

the side note is speculation, i'm not aware of any solid rumors to plan around. if you don't need a 4k editing machine for a while, it might make sense to go with an imac for now and then see what apple has available when you do need a 4k editing machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh Gotcha. Thank again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines