• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong pixel size on Photoshop? Please help.

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a new laptop, a 15 inch Macbook back in 2015 with a Retina display and I purchased some Adobe applications at the same time, but ever since that time and up until now I have had a hard time using Photoshop. I don’t need lessons on how to use it. I just want to fix a minor issue and I don’t know how to do that. When I download a picture from the Internet, it never shows up as the same size. I find this to be very frustrating because it completely ruins the quality of what I’m trying to work on. Even a 100x100 pixels image doesn’t look like its original size. Zooming in does nothing either. I have tried to come up with a resolution for two years now, almost 3. I just want to fix this minor issue so that I can use Photoshop normally again, just like how I used to starting from over 5 years ago. Please help me.

Here is an image to demonstrate what I'm trying to say here.

ss.png

How do I fix this?? (Also, I have tried using both Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CC. Still the same.)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's caused by your Retina display.   100px x 100px is very very small.

100% zoom is the actual size of image on your high pixel density device.

That's what PS displays, actual size on your device.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your retina screen has more pixels per square unit, so things get smaller. Safari and other non-critical apps scale images up to compensate for this, so that it displays at roughly the same size that people are used to from traditional displays.

Photoshop displays correctly. Safari does not. There's nothing to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you possibly know if it would be any different with a 13 inch Macbook?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the monitor resolution on your 13" Macbook, 1280 x 800? Then you are fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry? I use a 15-inch Macbook... 2880x1800 is the resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that Macbook would also be correct in showing you different sizes in Safari and Photoshop, both of which are working exactly as designed. Everything is normal except one thing. You say "Zooming in does nothing". Zooming in is the solution, so please let us know what goes wrong when you try to zoom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well because when I zoom in, the picture looks pixelated. That's when I started to think something was wrong...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with larger images.  When I create images for the web, I start with a canvas that is no less than 300px X 300px at 300 ppi.  It's much easier to work with larger images. 

Later you can downsize images to whatever size is needed.

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well because when I zoom in, the picture looks pixelated. That's when I started to think something was wrong...

That's just your perception, going from a 2880x1800 display to a 1440x900 one. Just goes to show that the extra resolution is real and visible.

Photoshop at 200% zoom renders each image pixel by exactly four screen pixels. There is no blurring or other artifacts - just four pixels acting as one. This has been demonstrated here before, with 100% screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What this whole thing boils down to is this:

Photoshop maps one image pixel to one screen pixel. That these screen pixels are small, is exactly the point of a high resolution retina screen.

Safari maps one image pixel to four screen pixels. Thus the image appears twice as large - and at the same time turns the expensive high-resolution screen into a perfectly ordinary low-res one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's compare what happens between Safari and Photoshop.

Safari doubles the size. But it does its best to make the result look smooth and high quality. It will do this with tricks like smoothing, aliasing and other things. Mac OS will actually be doing this, not Safari. But the Photoshop editor wants to know exactly what they have. So when you zoom in the pixels are kept sharp and separate, so you see them more. You will want to do regular previews of your work in all sorts of environments: browsers on Retina screens, browsers on regular screens, Mac and Windows, phones... all have different limitations which are very frustrating to the designer. Photoshop gives you access to the truth...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines