Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

True Monochromatic canversion

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everybody.

I need your help to solve the following problem.

There are some tutorials how to transform picture to winter wonderland. In most cases gradient map and adjustment. Non of them works for me.

Let me explain what is my task.

I have photo - portrait - of woman - (in example)

Now when I convert it to B&W - all colors are changed to grays.

Imagine situation:

In real world you take white spray can, and spray evenly all over the woman face, hairs and clothes.

What I got is - one white color all over.

Take picture once again - now I have whites and grays only where shadows are (not where was different color before)

(imagine clown face).

My question is how to achieve this effect directly in PS - with no painting 🙂

Please remember - one color only - white - and greys which represent shadows.

Can somebody give me idea how to start this, or links with tutorials.

Thx in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

adams79321726 wrote:

Thx Nancy. It is not what I'm looking for. It is base on colors - I need separate lights and shadows.Thx

Your inspiration image is actually done with various tones of blues, grays & white. So it's not monochromatic.   If you sample colors around the castle & Ferris wheel you'll see what I mean.

http://blog.photoshopcreative.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/final-15.png

Below is a quick example of a spruce tree made from 5 Threshold Layers of varying levels.   I did not spend extra time adding details. But you get the basic idea.

Good luck!

Nancy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not quite sure what you're asking for.  But try this:

http://layersmagazine.com/photoshop-layered-threshold.html

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Nancy. It is not what I'm looking for. It is base on colors - I need separate lights and shadows.Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

adams79321726 wrote:

Your inspiration image is actually done with various tones of blues, grays & white. So it's not monochromatic.   If you sample colors around the castle & Ferris wheel you'll see what I mean.

http://blog.photoshopcreative.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/final-15.png

Below is a quick example of a spruce tree made from 5 Threshold Layers of varying levels.   I did not spend extra time adding details. But you get the basic idea.

Good luck!

Nancy

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam

I am having some trouble envisaging what you are trying to do. It sounds like a high key picture but I am not sure.

Are you able to post an example of a picture you are starting with and an example of what you want to get to?

With that we can probably help you

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave.

I try to get effect like this one here Create a winter wonderland! | Photoshop Creative - Photoshop Tutorials, Galleries, Reviews & Advice ... from ordinary photo like this one. Make her snowy icy lady.1P1A9713-2.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very difficult as any color that's in the original will affect the luminosity. One step, which is not perfect, but can help get you there is to apply a B&W adjustment layer and crank up the values for all the colors so that they "appear" white. This won't help you with dark neutral tones though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx Chuck. I was thinking about edge detection (filter) and inner shadow. So far I didn't find right way

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines