• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upgrade in Internet Speed Causing Lightroom Slowdown?

Contributor ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had an old DSL speed that was very slow (8 hours to upload 100 20 MP photos onto Flickr after Lightroom processing). In late December, I upgraded to a 45 Mbps download and a 6 Mbps upload package that was much faster than what I had.  That same week, I found that Lightroom CC was much less responsive; the performance was inconsistent, and often very slow. The slowness is a delay between a mouse click or move of several seconds (or more).  This occurs when dragging the scroll bar, selecting a tool, selecting another photo, and completing editing operations.  I've tried restarting Lightroom, and restarting my pc.  My internet surfing is fine.  Speed tests show I'm getting the speeds I asked for.  Lightroom has been slow at times in the past two years, but in the period prior to the speed upgrade, I wasn't having the slowwness and delay problem that I'm having with Lightroom now. 

Looking through other community complaints of slowness, I see that the graphics card and the number of cpu cores may be a factor.  I'm on Windows 10.

My card in a NVIDIA  GeForce GT 640M.  My CPU is an Intel Core i7-3770S @ 3.10 GHz, with 4 cores. 

It may only be coincidence that Lightroom's slowness developed about the same time as my internet upgrade. My speed increases were modest compared to some that are available, and I can't picture the increases causing the delays.  With limited computer knowledge, I have no idea what the cause is, or what the remedy would be.

What is the cause of the problem?  How can it be fixed?  Thanks for any ideas.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

I think I found the stumbling block that caused the delay and slowness problem in my Lightroom CC.  Following up on advice to check for any new installations re security, I found McAfee had done an install about the time things slowed down in Lightroom.  In checking my McAfee, I found them urging me to download and Itunes update.  I had previously ignored that I tunes option.  I don't use Itunes, so why add it to my hard drive?  On a hunch, I completed the download of the Itunes update, restarte

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a coincidence.

Try to turn off the GPU acceleration and post back if it makes any difference: Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

Are you using CC 2015.8?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried things with the GPU accelerator on and with it off, but no change seen in Lightroom behavior.  I currently have it off.   I am using CC 2015.8.

In looking at the Adobe Lightroom GPU troubleshooting link you suggested, I noticed the portion about having more than one GPU.  Device Manager shows, in Display Adaptors, that in addition to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 640M, my pc also has an Intel HD Graphics 4000.  The advice about disabling the lesser of the two leaves me wondering which is which.

Thank for your info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the time you have slow Lightroom, are you synchronizing your images with Lightroom Mobile? Are you running face detection?

Are you doing a lot of brushing or spot healing?

Have the photos you are editing changed sizes (for example, because you switched from one camera to another, or perhaps you were editing JPGs before and RAW now)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, I am not using Lightroom Mobile or face detection.  I'm not into smart phones or other mobile devices, and 98 % of my photos have no faces to detect.  Is there a way to find out if these are running?

I do a variety of operating including brushing and spot healing, but had no real problem with delays or slowness until now.  Now, brushing spot healing and radial tool use slow down. Also, delays occur when clicking on images in the Library Module or when switching modules.  Delays can range from 3 seconds to 15 seconds (module change).

For several years, I've used two cameras, and also both RAW and JPG, editing them in Lightroom without problems.

Thanks for the ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, I am not using Lightroom Mobile or face detection.

But it would be good to actually check to make sure these are not running. Under Catalog Settings, click on Metadata and then make sure Automatically Detect Faces is UNchecked. Under Preferences, click on Lightroom mobile, check the activity at the bottom of the window.

I do a variety of operating including brushing and spot healing, but had no real problem with delays or slowness until now.

Please check. Try an experiment where you edit a bunch of photos (let's say 10 photos) but you do not use any spot healing or adjustment brush on these photos. Do you experience the slowdown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Catalog Settings and Metadata and unchecked Detect Faces.  In Lightroom Mobile, I checked the activity at the bottom of the window, and found that there was no sync activity - 0 uploading, 0 downloading.

As an experiment I photo-edited 10+ photos, avoiding the Spot Healing and Adjustment Brushes.  Delays are still present, although perhaps not so much.  Delay was noticed in moving the scroll bar up or down.  The bar would not freeze, but would follow the mouse arrow during the drag at its own pace, a second or two behind.  Previously, the scroll bar had stayed with the mouse arrow.  Motions were instantaneous.  In the experiment, the small indicator arrows for adjusting Exposure, Contrast, Whites and Blacks would also lag behind - following the mouse arrow a second or two behind.  Oddly, Upright and Panorama functions seemed up to speed.  Switching between the Library and Develop modules remained slow - about 7 seconds where it used to be immediate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the stumbling block that caused the delay and slowness problem in my Lightroom CC.  Following up on advice to check for any new installations re security, I found McAfee had done an install about the time things slowed down in Lightroom.  In checking my McAfee, I found them urging me to download and Itunes update.  I had previously ignored that I tunes option.  I don't use Itunes, so why add it to my hard drive?  On a hunch, I completed the download of the Itunes update, restarted my pc, and found Lightroom back up to speed.

Thanks to those who responded and made suggestions. In less than 24 hours, the problem has been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In the future when you ask a question on these forums you don't have to make the same reply to all other users that have replied to you.

If you are replying through Email I suggest you actually log on to the forum website to make your replies.

Glad you got it sorted out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With this upgrade in internet connection speed did you install any software provided by your internet provider for internet security or virus protection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No as far as I know.  The upgrade involved a new router and outside wiring.  No new software was installed.  Based on your question, I did check Control Panel, Programs and Features, to see if there were any installations.  I found two in January, a day of two after my upgrade.  They were  McAfee Security Center, and Flickr Uploadr for Windows.  Both McAfee and Uploadr had been previously on my pc, so the January installations may have been newer versions.  While not installed during the upgrade, maybe the McAfee installation might fit your question.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check that LR has full access to files on your system through the McAfee program. Not sure how to do that as I've never worked with that program.

My assumption is every time LR tries to access a file, whether a LR program file or an image file, the request is being routed through the McAfee system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found the stumbling block that caused the delay and slowness problem in my Lightroom CC.  Following up on advice to check for any new installations re security, I found McAfee had done an install about the time things slowed down in Lightroom.  In checking my McAfee, I found them urging me to download and Itunes update.  I had previously ignored that I tunes option.  I don't use Itunes, so why add it to my hard drive?  On a hunch, I completed the download of the Itunes update, restarted my pc, and found Lightroom back up to speed.

Thanks for your suggestions. In less than 24 hours, the problem has been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those who responded and made suggestions. In less than 24 hours, the problem has been solved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines