• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alternative Layout - Print and Mobile in one inDesign Project?

Explorer ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

i just got in touch with alternative layouts. I've been working on a kind of newsletter with page settings PRINT and Format A4. Now i'd like to make an alternative layout for ipad retina. But when i choose LAYOUT --> ALTERNATIVE LAYOUT i  just can choose between paper formats? Is it possible to have print and mobile versions in one document? And how should i proceed? Regards

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly are you planning on doing with this “mobile” version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the fast response. My intention is to have a printable version and one for smartphones and tablets each provided via "publish online". The idea is to have a well readable layout for each platform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My honest answer here is that alternate layouts are not worth the bother especially for this. It’s one of those half baked features that never really developed into what it should have been.

Have you tried simply exporting to Publish Online to see what the results look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...currently i have just an A4 Version online with interactive elements. That's to be honest already pretty okay. But to provide more reading comfort i just wanted to go one step further and have a tablet optimized version. But when i tried i got the described troubles with the different formats. Every time i changed the format this change was applied as well for the print version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay - i think i've understood - so for my personal interest - whats the real problem with liquid and alternative layouts as you've mentioned to better avoid it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The original purpose of these things was to allow for multiple layouts for DPS. It never worked properly and the feature itself is so half-baked that I’ve never used it (trust me…I’ve tried to find a use). Given that digital publishing is moving to HTML and responsive layouts, I don’t expect alternate layouts to ever get the kind of love they need to make them useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i  just can choose between paper formats?

The list should show you all of the page dimensions you have setup in your pages panel, so you can setup any pixel dimension either before you choose Alternate Layout, or via Custom... at the bottom of the list in the Alternate Layout dialog.

Here you can see all of the custom page dimensions I have set up which includes a 2048pxx1536px page I named iPadRetina:

swatches.png

The document's color can be RGB, CMYK or a mix of both. For the print version you can make the conversion to CMYK at export or leave the color unchanged (PDF/X-4), or you can force all of the color into sRGB via the Output tab. If you export an Interactive PDF the conversion to sRGB is automatic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly thats what i would need but what i miss here with my indesign CC Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-06 um 16.08.10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to add it yourself! The output intent does nothing except change the preset choices and measurement units.

Again, I would not bother with alternate layouts. It's a waste of time and effort. Just make a second a document and go from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose Benutzerdefiniert...

Or make the custom page in the Pages panel:

swatches.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im just wondering why i dont have the presets in there?

Am 06.01.2017 um 16:45 schrieb rob day <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

created by rob day in InDesign - View the full discussion

Choose Benutzerdefiniert...

Or make the custom page in the Pages panel:

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9244245#9244245 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9244245#9244245

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because you haven't made them.

In my capture everything above the default Letter preset are page sizes I made by choosing Custom, setting the size, and clicking Add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, i was asking because when i define the document settings to web or mobile presets for this devices are available - unfortunately when the general document type is print these presets seem to be not available.

Am 06.01.2017 um 17:19 schrieb rob day <forums_noreply@adobe.com>:

created by rob day in InDesign - View the full discussion

Because you haven't made them.

In my capture everything above the default Letter preset are page sizes I made by choosing Custom, setting the size, and clicking Add.

If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9244252#9244252 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page:

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9244252#9244252

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following"

Start a new discussion in InDesign by email or at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.

This email was sent by Adobe Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Adobe Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, i was asking because when i define the document settings to web or mobile presets for this devices are available -

Right and the reverse will be true if the document intent is set to Web—the page dimension defaults are no longer print.

But It wouldn't be very difficult to add the default web page dimensions as custom pages to your list and work with a print intent. All the intent does is set the initial color spaces of the swatches, the measurement units, blend space, but there's nothing stopping you from changing those settings once the doc is created. If you want to work with CMYK swatches for a print document it's not a problem because the color can be converted and color managed for screens on export

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it - doesnt work - When i enter 2048px width and 1536px height in the "Benutzerdefiniert" Dialog inDesign converts the format to this values: Bildschirmfoto 2017-01-07 um 16.18.48.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because the document can only have one unit of measure.

One more time, I will give you my advice, and then I'm done. Forget about the alternate layouts for this project. Just save the document as a new document, change the setup to 1024x768  and get on with things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tried it - doesnt work - When i enter 2048px width and 1536px height

When you enter a unit value in any dimension dialog, the entered units get converted into the document's current measurement units. Pixels in InDesign are a static output measurement unit — 1 pixel = 1point = 1/72inch = 25.4 mm. An InDesign page is an object and it has no resolution, so the pixel measurement unit can be confusing if you are coming from Photoshop where every document is a bitmap object and has a pixel dimension and changeable image resolution

If you change your rulers from millimeters to pixels (control click the rulers) you will see that your custom alternate page dimensions are in fact 2048x1536 pixels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines