Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to filter in-camera-jpg´s only?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Community:

Is there a way in lightroom to filter the in-camera-jpg´s only? Can I set up a smart-collection to do that job? If yes, what are the settings? Many thanks´ in advance.

Lars

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

To my knowledge, there is no way to differentiate between in-camera JPEG images and JPEG images created by Lightroom. I don't know of any smart collection filter or other method to do that. Perhaps you are going to have to examine your workflow. Maybe you should consider importing in-camera JPEG images separately, putting them in their own folder. Since I don't know your folder structure and workflow as intimately as you do I cannot give you any further advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean in-camera jpgs as opposed to other JPGs that have been edited by Lightroom? Or do you mean something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct! With the term "in-camera-JPG", I mean JPG´s directly from the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But do you have other JPGs imported into Lightroom somehow? Yes or No?

If YES, then what is different about them? Where did they come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Date and Time (Original) of the latest modification is equal to the capture time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't filter on that.

Could you please answer the question I asked, where did the other JPGs (that you don't want) come from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other JPG´s were generated in post processing software like LR, PS, C1, Corel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is there something different in the file name for the files from PS, C1, Corel? Usually software adds "edit" or some variation of those to the edited files to distinguish them from the unedited JPGs.

Regarding the edited photos that were edited in LR, have you exported the photos and then included the exports in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can´t filter on that

LATEST MODIFICATION = CAPTURE TIME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be easy if LR would me allow to filter the EXIF-Data this way:

DateTimeOriginal is equal DateTime

Since I got my Fuji cameras, I keep the in-camera-jpgs. 🙂

It is true, after importing the file, every post processing software put it´s name into the EXIF-Data, the name of the field is "Software".

I already tried this smart collection filter, but it does not work:

Has Adjustments - is false

File Type - is - JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry but I have to point this out. The pattern here is clear. I ask a question, you don't answer my question, and instead bring up some other point.

My question that remains unanswered is: So is there something different in the file name for the files from PS, C1, Corel?

And also this one: Regarding the edited photos that were edited in LR, have you exported the photos and then included the exports in LR?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LCAGE wrote:

It would be easy if LR would me allow to filter the EXIF-Data this way:

DateTimeOriginal is equal DateTime

I suggest sending an email to John Ellis who is the creator of Any Filter Lightroom Plugin. His current filter doesn't provide this capability, but John may be able to come up with a solution. It sounds like a useful filter function.

Please send problems, bugs, suggestions, and feedback to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@trshaner

Thank you! I just contacted John Ellis by email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an Any Filter query that should meet your needs. It will find all JPEGs containing no embedded ICC profile:

JPEGs generated by cameras generally don't contain embedded profiles, whereas all JPEGs exported by LR do contain them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John. I tried the above filter settings and it's pulling up both camera JPEGs and LR Export JPEGs. I couldn't find 'Filename ends with' filter item, but 'File Type' = JPEG works. This is with Any Filter v1.25 and Canon DSLR camera JPEG image files (5D MKII, 600D). What am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oops, I posted the wrong screenshot -- that one shows an earlier filter I tried, with a typo in the field name.  It should be ICC_Profile:ProfileDescription:

(The Filename criterion is under Library, though File Type works just as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John that works!

I tried creating a separate search to find non-camera JPEG files with the same filter using 'doesn't contain.' It pulls up camera JPEGs same as the original filter. I also tried using 'isn't empty' as shown below, but it reverts to 'Date Time Original' and can't be changed to 'ICC_Profile:ProfileDescription.' Any ideas on what might work? Thanks again for your assistance!

EDIT: I finally figured it out.....just use the  '!=' specifier (Not Equal).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried creating a separate search to find non-camera JPEG files with the same filter using 'doesn't contain.' It pulls up camera JPEGs same as the original filter.

This is due to the way "contains" and "doesn't contain" handle missing values.  When a field is missing, "contains" will always return false, and "doesn't contain" will thus always return true.  (This mirrors the semantics of "contains" in smart collections.)

To test if a field is not blank, use "!=" instead, e.g.

I also tried using 'isn't empty' as shown below, but it reverts to 'Date Time Original' and can't be changed to 'ICC_Profile:ProfileDescription.'

Someone else reported that bug with ExifTool Field last week.  It will be fixed in the next release, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

John, thank you for your due diligence–This is very helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My question that remains unanswered is: So is there something different in the file name for the files from PS, C1, Corel?

Answer: NO! LR automatically renames my files during import and overwrites the original file name. All my files are renamed!

And also this one: Regarding the edited photos that were edited in LR, have you exported the photos and then included the exports in LR?

Answer: YES! I organize and sync two main folders in LR

Folder 1 "CAPTURE" contains RAW´s , TIFF´s and DNG´s

Folder 2 "OUTPUT" contains JPG only (My LR/PS/C1/Corel-exported and my in-camera-generated JPG´s are mixed up in this folder)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why do you even need the output folder containing all those Lightroom generated JPEG's? Use Lightroom to manage your master images and export JPEG's when you need them for other programs or for e-mail or other purposes. Personally, I don't see a need to have an output of an image just to have an output. If you make a change to the master image then you have to output again in order to keep things synchronized.  Seems to me the most logical way to resolve this issue would be to ONLY have the camera-generated JPEG images in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jim

You are Right! That´s the best way to do LR. I totally agree with you.

But this won´t work for me. I have to share my folders with Graphicdesigners, Retouchers and some other people. So I have to keep my folders organized in a fixed structure.

Foldername (year,month,day,name)

Subfolders:

1-Capture (RAW´s / DNG´s)

2-Selection (TIFF´s))

3-Master (PSD´s)

4-Output (JPG)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To my knowledge, there is no way to differentiate between in-camera JPEG images and JPEG images created by Lightroom. I don't know of any smart collection filter or other method to do that. Perhaps you are going to have to examine your workflow. Maybe you should consider importing in-camera JPEG images separately, putting them in their own folder. Since I don't know your folder structure and workflow as intimately as you do I cannot give you any further advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would only be possible to filter in-camera-generated-JPG´s when Adobe improves their filter functions.

The EXIF-Data contain all necessary information.

DateTimeOriginal - is equal - DateTime

DateTimeOriginal (is the capture time)

DateTime (is the time when the file was generated)

Every in-camera-generated-JPG has this property. Both times are equal!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use the Filter Bar. If it isn't shown press the \ key to bring it up. Select the Metadata option. In the panel on the far left select Date from the heading drop down. Next panel select Camera in the heading drop down then if you like the lens in the third panel and in the last you select File Type. Set the first panel to All (xxx Dates). Select the camera you what to included. Then the lens all All. and in the last you select JPG.

This will show you all JPG images created by your Fuji camera. The only problem is any JPG you created from any RAW image data from PS, Exporting in LR or C1 will also be displayed.

If the File name was changed in some way when the JPG from one of those other programs or from the LR export you can use the Text section of the Filter Bar to filter out those. you can have more than one option selected at the Top of the Filter Bar. Just Text then set your options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines