• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo"

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2017 Jan 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imported a little less than 60 NEF images taken over several days, each of which had a small white exclamation point on a round black background with the message "Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo", then continuing underneath, "You will not be able to make adjustments to this photo".

On some of the 'lost' images, the entire image is visible in the LR preview; in others, there is a broad black band across either the bottom (landscape) or top (portrait); that same black band shows up when I open the files in Nikon's Capture NX-D software (whether it shows in the LR preview or not), although there is also broad white hatching within the black band.

Having gone through several other forums, so far I have tried unsuccessfully:

- Moving the images from outside LR, then re-importing them from the new location within LR (which was intended to address a possible metadata issue);

- Using different memory cards, formatted in the camera;

- Upgrading to LR6 (which quits installing at 1%, but that's another story).

This doesn't happen with jpg files (I haven't tried it with TIFF). I'm running a 2011 iMac with OSX 10.12.2, 16GB, and currently LR 5.7.

For what it's worth, I have a hunch it has something to do with upgrading to 10.12.2, but I could be wrong. None of the other pictures in the same current catalog and library are affected (and I daren't check my others just in case by opening them I somehow corrupt them).

I have two events to shoot this weekend, and reaaaallllly don't want to shoot them in jpg.

Any thoughts, suggestions, guidance, different walls to bang my head against would be most appreciated.

[Moved from non-technical Forum Lounge to specific Program forum... Mod]

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Do not use Nikon Transfer - there are many reports that it corrupts files. It is also recommended to use a card reader instead of connecting the camera since this is also known as a source of corrupt files.

You can use LR for copying and importing the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2017 Jan 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you moving the NEF's from the card to the Mac?

Using a card reader or directly connecting the camera to the Mac?

What piece of software are you using for this if not LR?

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dj.

Thanks so much for writing in.

I'm plugging the camera directly into the computer and using Nikon's own "Nikon Transfer" software. And when I moved the files to a new location I just used Finder then Imported them again at the new location from within LR (having also deleted the original previews in LR and their parent folders).

Incidentally, when I open the files in the Photo app that comes bundled with OSX, I can edit the files that LR says it has problems reading, but the broad black bands are still visible on those pictures which have it.

Very baffling and madly frustrating. At least the rest of the current library and catalog hasn't been affected, but then on the other hand, I'm having to shoot everything in jpg until I can figure this nonsense out. I still have a vague hunch it's something to do with the OSX update I installed, or something to do with my cards or something wrong with the way my camera is recording the files.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to reply, dj, and any further suggestions or insights would be enormously appreciated.

Ben.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not use Nikon Transfer - there are many reports that it corrupts files. It is also recommended to use a card reader instead of connecting the camera since this is also known as a source of corrupt files.

You can use LR for copying and importing the files.

--- Got your issue resolved? Please label the response as 'Correct Answer' to help your fellow community members find a solution to similar problems. ---

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey McLion.

Yup, not using Nikon Transfer seems to have worked -- or, that and any other myriad permutations I tried, such as resetting the camera to factory settings, using only the CF slot, etc and so forth. I'll invest in a reader too -- thanks for the suggestion.

So now we know. Nikon make gorgeous cameras and lenses but their software sucks.

Many thanks and best wishes,

Ben.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Lightroom has encountered problems reading this photo", then continuing underneath, "You will not be able to make adjustments to this photo".

The file has become corrupted somehow, and cannot be used. The solution is to restore these files from their backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi McLion.

Thanks a lot for getting in touch.

Actually, these images were newly shot so didn't yet have a back-up to work with. Slowly working through the issue in my head I think you're right that the files must be corrupted rather than there's an LR failure at work here. If I come up with anything I'll be sure to pass it along.

Thanks and best wishes,

Ben.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines