Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR JPG export file size

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone

I am new here and I was wondering if you could help, I have been asking around and spend ages on the web and on FAQs forum but cannot find an explanation and I am hoping you can help.

I shoot with a Canon Mark III in RAW. I would like to upload high quality JPG to image library sites but their usual requirement is JPG of 4MB file size minimum (compressed size - so around 17MB)

I use Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CC14 for my image processing.

My usual workflow is the following:

1 - Import CR2 RAW file to LR

2 - Minor Adjustments to image in LR

3 - Then Edit in PS for further adjustment

4 - Return to LR and Finally export to JPG (exporting at Maximum quality of 100)

Results:

Let say my straight our of camera CR2 RAW file size is 25MB

My Export size in JPG will be around 2.2MB (11MB uncompressed)

If I retouch the RAW file in Photoshop directly (skipping LR) my JPG export file size will be 3.1MB (16mb uncompressed)

Question 1:

Why is the JPG file size smaller if I go through LR first?

Question 2:

Is there a way to increase my JPG file size of 3MB to reach the magic number of 4MB but keeping 300dpi and without any loss of quality.

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Thanks so much in advance for your help

Antoine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

You are either not using 100% quality or you have cropped the image or you are resizing it on exporting to JPG.

I just did several exports of Fuji X-E2 RAF files that had been converted to DNG which actually lowers the RAW file size from around 32 MBs to +/- 22 MBs and the resulting JPG export is +/- 17MB.

Please post a screen shot of the whole export dialog window so we can see your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are your export settings? I use the Nikon D7100 (24 MP,  6000 x 4000 pixel image). If I export  a full-sized image  with the quality setting at 100, the JPEG file is 17 MP. Either  you are reducing the size for the export or there isn't a lot of detail in the image.  As far as your 300 dpi (it's really  PPI or pixels per inch) setting is concerned, it has absolutely no impact on the quality of the digital image.. The digital image has the same number of pixels regardless of whatever that setting is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys

I checked again following your comments and you were right, for some reason 'Image sizing' was ticked and set to 2500px meaning when exporting the image, the size was smaller. Thank you guys for taking the time to answer me. Much appreciated!

Antoine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are either not using 100% quality or you have cropped the image or you are resizing it on exporting to JPG.

I just did several exports of Fuji X-E2 RAF files that had been converted to DNG which actually lowers the RAW file size from around 32 MBs to +/- 22 MBs and the resulting JPG export is +/- 17MB.

Please post a screen shot of the whole export dialog window so we can see your settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Guys

I checked again following your comments and you were right, for some reason 'Image sizing' was ticked and set to 2500px meaning when exporting the image, the size was smaller. Thank you guys for taking the time to answer me. Much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines