• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Move Lightroom Catalog and Photos to 2 external drives

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC, 2015.8 Release, Camera Raw 9.8, on an iMac.  I had a bunch of old family photos in Aperture on a variety of old external hard drives and imported them into a new folder on the internal hard drive of my iMac which contains the files Converted Aperture Library Previews.lrdata and Converted Aperture Library.lrcat.  This includes raw files, jpegs and thumbnails from Aperture which need to be cleaned up later.  I want to (a) share a copy of all of this with my ex-wife by copying them to a new portable external hard drive which I will give to her to use in Lightroom on her own computer; (b) copy all of this to a new portable external hard drive for myself to use in Lightroom on my computer when needed as an archive, and (c) delete all of these files from the internal hard drive of my iMac so that I can free up much needed internal hard drive space on my iMac.  What is the safest, most efficient way to do this that will permit both my of us to separately access and work with the photos and catalog on our copies on external hard drives on our computers going forward?  Thank you for your advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Hopefully you have created a folder structure that puts everything within one master folder. You can have numberless  subfolders,  but it's really best to have everything within one master folder. If that is how you have  the images organized  then simply copy the master folder of images and the catalog to the external hard drive to give your  ex-wife. If the drive containing the images has a different designation on her computer, all she has to do is update the folder location of the master fol

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully you have created a folder structure that puts everything within one master folder. You can have numberless  subfolders,  but it's really best to have everything within one master folder. If that is how you have  the images organized  then simply copy the master folder of images and the catalog to the external hard drive to give your  ex-wife. If the drive containing the images has a different designation on her computer, all she has to do is update the folder location of the master folder and go to work. On your computer, I would suggest using Finder to copy all of the images to the external hard drive. That means the images will be in two locations. After you have copied the images to the external hard drive, just start Lightroom and update the folder location of the master folder pointing Lightroom  to the folder on the external hard drive. Once you have done that you can remove the images from the  Mac hard drive. One thing to be aware of is that your ex-wife will have to be using Lightroom 6 or Lightroom CC in order to use the catalog. If she is using an older version (i.e. Lightroom 5) she will not be able to open the catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please read the section "Part 2  — Updating Folder Location" of this document for detailed instructions on how to Move photos to a new location. Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines