• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Return to LR as .tif or .psd

Participant ,
Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working in LR, what a generally accepted better choice, returning your file as a .tif or .psd? I've noticed when using HDR Pro LR won't let you return a 32 bit .psd file. I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of either option are? What should I make my setting in LR?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 07, 2017 Jan 07, 2017

It is really a matter of personal preference. I have been told by Adobe that the PSD file is smaller than the tif file. I always save as a PSD file because in my workflow re: I always know that the PSD file is my edited file. So my settings in LR is PSD as 16 bit. I also am a master printer and find that I prefer to keep all of my images in Adobe RGB since this is closer match to my inkjet printer. When using ProRGB my soft proofing is not as accurate. It is all arguable so test and see what wor

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is really a matter of personal preference. I have been told by Adobe that the PSD file is smaller than the tif file. I always save as a PSD file because in my workflow re: I always know that the PSD file is my edited file. So my settings in LR is PSD as 16 bit. I also am a master printer and find that I prefer to keep all of my images in Adobe RGB since this is closer match to my inkjet printer. When using ProRGB my soft proofing is not as accurate. It is all arguable so test and see what works best for you. Here is screen shot of my LR settings.Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 5.45.19 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for answering that question for me. I am sure that can really light a fire in forum discussions as to the right way. In other words since LR doesn't allow you to return a 32 bit .psd file when creating that for HDR then if the preference would be .psd I would just have to change it to .tif for that one function. I too have a similar workflow and understand my .psd files in LR to be my edited finished files. I don't create .jpg files and archive them. I feel that is redundant since it doesn't really take that long if I wanted to go back into LR and re export them if I needed to for any reason. What is your take on that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huskerfan29 wrote:

When working in LR, what a generally accepted better choice, returning your file as a .tif or .psd? I've noticed when using HDR Pro LR won't let you return a 32 bit .psd file. I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages of either option are? What should I make my setting in LR?

My choice of file probably depends on the software involved. If the image is coming from Photoshop, I will save it as a PSD file.

If the image is coming back from non-Adobe software, it will probably be a 16-bit TIF since the available choice is often only that or a JPG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always choose TIF, a non-proprietary format, over the proprietary PSD.

The only technical reasons for choosing PSD are for obscure workflows. IIRC they are:

• PSD supports Duotone image mode
  • PSD is needed for Photoshop's Displacement filter
  • PSD allows InDesign to correctly display any transparent areas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I differ from the other 2 replies.

I used PSD for a long time but then realized the PSD files could only be opened by a program sold by Adobe (not that I am against Adobe in any way). Where as TIFF files can be opened by many different programs and can be displayed in the File Manager program for the OS I'm using.

A PSD file is only smaller in size if you don't have the Max Compatibility option turned on in the PS option. If that option isn't turned on LR can't read the file so you have to have it enabled. That makes a PSD and TIFF file basically the same size.

So I choose to save my PS work in TIFF format.

Also other Add-On programs like the ones in the NIK collection save the resulting file in TIFF format as it can't save it as a PSD (that is a proprietary Adobe format).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines