• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Expand automatic page numbers from a masterpage into an independet textbox on each page

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah the title says it... I am working on a book with two different content sections. These different contents are printed on different kinds of paper and are of other page size. So one content is printed on shiny paper in A4 the other content is printed on translucent paper and ten milimeter shorter on the top and on the outer sides of every page. And these make up a book with these alternating two contents so 8 pages shiny, 8 pages not shiny and 8 pages shiny again you get the idea (its alternating throughout the book). Now I am trying to split the shiny content into one indesign file and the other content into its own indesign file for a print-ready pdf. So when I do this the page numbers start again from 1 even-tough it should be page 17... So I was looking for a command that said something like: «expand automatic page numbers on every page» or something. This command would just turn the Master-Text-Boxes on every normal page into a ordinary text-box like you would draw one using the text-tool on an ordinary page.

Help much appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

turn the Master-Text-Boxes on every normal page into a ordinary text-box

You can copy the text frames with the page numbers from the master pages to the body pages by Control Alt clicking them (Cmd Opt click on a Mac) with the Selection tool.

the page numbers start again from 1

Right click the page icon in the Pages panel and choose Numbering and Section Options to control the page numbering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey thanks for the quick reply!

well with cmd opt click I can unlock it. but when I do this and I delete all previous pages up to this page it still changes the page number.

And right clicking the page icon just sets the start point on my new page so I could do that for the first page (so Start at 17) but not for the next sections of 8...

I have alternating sections throughout the book. the book has 380 something pages... so I would have to do this manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I would have to do this manually

That's correct. There's nothing automatic about this unusual pagination requirement, but with patience, you can make it work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah too bad...

Solution would be a simple command like expand master elements on bodypages... This way every page number stays the same how where ever it places or moved to...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can file a feature request here: Wishform - Adobe InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks gonna do that right away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi there!

I'm not sure I understood why you want to detach master text frame but it can be done easily:

place the master items you want to detach on a separate layer. Lock all other layers, select all pages in the Pages panel Menu and choose Detach All Objects From Master from the Pages panel menu.

However, you can also choose to work with a single file.

No problem creating two Master with different sizes:

mastersize.jpg

apply.jpg

Sans-titre-4.jpg

Now, the thing is, you'll need to export two PDF, so instead of specifying  "9-16, 25-32..." (headache for sure), you can use the Print option instead of Export. Using sections could also be part of the solution, but here's the Print options trick:

There is an option - that unfortunately doesn't exist using Export - that automatically select page range with same size (based on the format of the current selected page). That's handy:

print.jpg

Hope that helps

regards

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines